Can you please comment this raw tone?

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I did my best, with all I was able to read in this forum and also all the help I got from you, to try and get a raw tone that seemed OK to me.

But, then I realized that I don't even know what a good raw tone should sound like! :) I mean, every guitar tone I like is just my perception of what comes out of a fully mixed/mastered album. So when it comes to raw guitar, I have 0 experience.

Therefore, before moving forward with mixing, I wanted to get your feedback, if possible

The signal chain is (for both Left + Right guitars) :
1- LTD ZH-7 with DiMarzio D-Activators
2- Komplete Audio 6 Interface
3- VST Noisegate
4- TSE808 VST
5- LE456 VST
6- Ignite TPA-1 power Amp.
7- Recabinet (with EQ deactivated)

As a reference, I'd say that I really like Jeff Loomis' tone (I could list more, but I think you get it), so you know what I kinda aim for. And I am aware that I can't get that tone with free VSTs... but at least if I can get somewhere not too far!.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q37lyf8gy2j3ohd/Raw Tone LE456.wav

(I originally posted this on the wrong forum, sorry).

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

its sounds really good, but i think a bit too scooped for cutting thru in a mix.
But this is more the LE456 (good sim anyway), i dont think increasing mids with that sim will help you can try.
I would switch to X50.
Loomis is Engl Endorsed but never used a Engl on a Record i think haha ;)
Its better to get a good working tone than making it work with boosts later in the mix

its sounds really good, but i think a bit too scooped for cutting thru in a mix.
But this is more the LE456 (good sim anyway), i dont think increasing mids with that sim will help you can try.
I would switch to X50.
Loomis is Engl Endorsed but never used a Engl on a Record i think haha ;)
Its better to get a good working tone than making it work with boosts later in the mix

Thank you very much!

Ok, I'll try a different amp. I'll give a shot with different ones, Lecto, Legion and the X50.

For the ENGL thing, damn! Every guitar player I like are "ENGL" guys (Loomis, Romeo, Nilsson, etc.), so I really thought that what I like about their album tones was coming from that ENGL Fireball! Do you know what they use? I guess a combination of at least 2 amps, like 6505 + Dual Rec?

But anyhow, many thanks for the taking the time to give your opinion. I'll work a bit more on that tone!

sounds cool on it's own, but it's hard to say solo'ed if it would work that way in a mix...especially since it depends on how the other elements in the mix sound.
If you have a pretty middy bass then maybe that guitar tone isn't too scooped. If you have a scooped bass it will be for sure...etc..etc...

Also mind:
Loomis having too much ENGL ended up on recordings (his solo record was a evh 5150 iirc, maybe one pair of savage in one of the last 2 nevermore albums though) isn't the
biggest reason of why you dig what you hear in his tones.
He has a VERY unique and articulate playing style.

I really like the tone, but I agree with Mago that without hearing it within the context of a mix it's hard to say if it works or not.

Ya, I agree that it's quite difficult to judge without the whole mix, but I mostly wanted to have a "go/no-go" kinda thing. Just wondering if I was off or not. So I understand that "It could work", but adding the bass and drum would definitely help.

When I have a full mix together I'll post it again. That riff might not end up in a song though, it was just something random that came up as I was trying different tones.