Canadian metal

The Black Death

WoY supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Burial ground... Quebec
Since Woods of Ypres is from Canada, i think it's appropriate to start a thread about Canadian metal in general !
( Even Darkthrone have made a song about it recently... )
This is a vast country and i'm sure there's a lot of good bands that are maybe less known - any suggestions ?
What is/are your favorite band(s) ?
If you're canadian, how is the metal scene in your area ?

Anything related to metal in Canada :headbang:

quo vadis is an example of one fuckin amazing underground extreme metal act with tons of progressive work!

Kataklysm, Gotguts and Cryptopsy are some good Montreal death metal bands everyone probably already knows.

Some good Canadian black metal includes Dark Forest, Artep, Vanquished, Empyrean Plague, Panzerfaust, Wolven Ancestry

Canadian metal rules. :]
I love Wolven Ancestry, Woods (of course), Nefastus Dies, Gorguts, Black Lotus, Will Of The Ancients, Frozen Shadows, and some tech death like Wetwork, Martyr, and Quo Vadis.

Good thread idea, however, IMO, Canada is far too huge to categorize all our metal in one group as if it belongs together. With 10 provinces and 3 territories that are very different and diverse from each other in numerous ways and many of which don't even really make much metal even though most of them are many times bigger than the land size of most European countries, I find the Canadian metal tag to be nearly as vague as "North American Metal". Other than defining what content a band is on and which they are not, the Canadian metal tag doesn't provide much more insight than that in terms of what you might expect, if you ever like to expect anything. + I find there is a lot of segregation and not a lot of communication between bands in the the scenes in Ontario and Quebec (Canada's biggest metal provinces overall) so it never makes much sense to me when I see those scenes being grouped together as one (SO different, language for one and typical metal styles for another)...and whenever I look at a map, I can't help but think that the James Bay is like the cock that fucks the divide between both provinces and the Hudson Bay is like it's ginormous, blue balls.

canada-map.gif

I'm starting the Ontario Metal thread. :kickass:

Good thread idea, however, IMO, Canada is far too huge to categorize all our metal in one group as if it belongs together. With 10 provinces and 3 territories that are very different and diverse from each other in numerous ways and many of which don't even really make much metal even though most of them are many times bigger than the land size of most European countries, I find the Canadian metal tag to be nearly as vague as "North American Metal". Other than defining what content a band is on and which they are not, the Canadian metal tag doesn't provide much more insight than that in terms of what you might expect, if you ever like to expect anything. + I find there is a lot of segregation and not a lot of communication between bands in the the scenes in Ontario and Quebec (Canada's biggest metal provinces overall) so it never makes much sense to me when I see those scenes being grouped together as one (SO different, language for one and typical metal styles for another)...and whenever I look at a map, I can't help but think that the James Bay is like the cock that fucks the divide between both provinces and the Hudson Bay is like it's ginormous, blue balls.

canada-map.gif

I'm starting the Ontario Metal thread. :kickass:

I understand your point...
I start a Canadian metal thread because i didn't want to start one for every provinces ( + territories) that make this country !
Since the canadians bands i know + listen are for the most part from Quebec and Ontario, i was hoping to hear about new
bands from outside those 2 provinces....And in fact, i just discovered Dark Forest ( Alberta ) because of this thread :)
But yes, there's enough bands from Ontario to make one about it only ! ( even Quebec... )

I will still make a recommendation here - a band from Vancouver : Infernal Majesty : http://www.myspace.com/infernalmajesty

Thanks David ! :kickass: ( Any good local beer in Seoul ? )

Black Death - yeah man, I hear ya + thanks for posting the Canadian Metal thread! We (Woods) are just obviously on this kick of differentiating ourselves from the broad Canadian metal scene and defining ourselves as an 'Ontario Metal' band right now, especially with the release of "Woods 3" (Ontario themes, Coat of Arms, Trilliums, Windsor, The North, the highways 17 & 69, etc...). I love the metal unity you see in a country such as Finland that is overflowing with metal bands and is just small enough geographically to be able to put on things like the annual "Finnish Metal Expo" and the "Finnish Metal Awards" etc... You couldn't dare try those kinds of things in Canada because even if to be fair it were hosted dead center in the middle of the country in Winnipeg Manitoba, 95% of the bands, supporters and press wouldn't show due to the costs and length of the epic journey of travel to get there from either side of the country (the sheer size of Canada is a contributing factor to the scattered metal scene that never really quite gets going here). Ontario however, might just be small enough to pull something like this off. The Annual "Ontario Metal Expo and Awards" promoting and exposing metal from Ontario. Some metal hardasses wil think that an 'awards' show would be against what metal is supposed to be about, but I believe it would simply bring more attention to the music and give bands something more to strive for. Someone has to start it, we might as well have a hand in it! Now, to the other thread... :) Go here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/woods-ypres/370347-ontario-metal.html

btw - didn't Quebec have some awesome 25 years of Quebec Metal Festival recently? Do they already have a Quebec Metal awards / expo type of thing? That's a great example of the type of things that should be happening in Ontario!

Black Death - yeah man, I hear ya + thanks for posting the Canadian Metal thread! We (Woods) are just obviously on this kick of differentiating ourselves from the broad Canadian metal scene and defining ourselves as an 'Ontario Metal' band right now, especially with the release of "Woods 3" (Ontario themes, Coat of Arms, Trilliums, Windsor, The North, the highways 17 & 69, etc...). I love the metal unity you see in a country such as Finland that is overflowing with metal bands and is just small enough geographically to be able to put on things like the annual "Finnish Metal Expo" and the "Finnish Metal Awards" etc... You couldn't dare try those kinds of things in Canada because even if to be fair it were hosted dead center in the middle of the country in Winnipeg Manitoba, 95% of the bands, supporters and press wouldn't show due to the costs and length of the epic journey of travel to get there from either side of the country (the sheer size of Canada is a contributing factor to the scattered metal scene that never really quite gets going here). Ontario however, might just be small enough to pull something like this off. The Annual "Ontario Metal Expo and Awards" promoting and exposing metal from Ontario. Some metal hardasses wil think that an 'awards' show would be against what metal is supposed to be about, but I believe it would simply bring more attention to the music and give bands something more to strive for. Someone has to start it, we might as well have a hand in it! Now, to the other thread... :) Go here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/woods-ypres/370347-ontario-metal.html

btw - didn't Quebec have some awesome 25 years of Quebec Metal Festival recently? Do they already have a Quebec Metal awards / expo type of thing? That's a great example of the type of things that should be happening in Ontario!

This is very true and I love the idea.