Canadian metal

Here's a few very good bands from Québec.

Gris
Those guys are a absolute genius. Il était une forêt is my favorite album of 2007, followed by Woods III. The band was called Niflheim before. Basically, it's "depressive black metal", but that term does not represent their music adequately. It is much more, and very different than that. Listen to it and have your own idea. You won't regret it.

Forteresse, Ur Falc'h (formerly Nordmen) , Brume d'Automne are very good black metal bands. It's not original, but it's highly effective and well done. Brume d'Automne has a nice folkish feeling to it, but the lyrics might not please my fellow Cacanadians as they are very patriotic. Forteresse also incorporates folkish passages at the beginning of some songs which are actually sample from some old forgotten Quebec violonists. Note that these four bands almost have the same lineup.

Sorcier Des Glaces is a very interesting band for fans of "old school" black metal. The guy's project is in fact a tribute to early second wave BM. Once again, not original at all, but very well done.

Other than that, you should definitely check out Monarque, Utlagr, Sombres Forêts, Csejthe, Ziel Bevrijd and Hiverna. The first three have two solid albums behind their belts (the second S.F. is coming soon!) and the last three are what I would call prospects.

Finally, I hope all the fans of black-thrash know Thesyre as this band is really among the best.

Have fun discovering new talents.

^^ being from Quebec, I'm surprised I haven't heard of any of those bands. Still, I'm gonna name all the canadian bands I can think of right now:

Cryptopsy
Gorguts
Anonymous
Kataclysm
Into Eternity
Annihilator
Devin Townsend
Horfixion
Quo Vadis
Martyr
Neuraxis
Blinded by Faith
Voivod
WOY (obviously)
Ghoulunatics (I think they're from Canada)