Candlemass, Symphony X & Nevermore?

Despite the solo play in the video posted above, Jato Unit is one of two songs on the Jeff Loomis album which features two lead guitarists. He and Michael Romeo can alternate between parts.

Yeah but who's saying they did that? It could've just ended up that way

Maybe you're right. I really like a few albums that don't really deviate from "the formula" - but you have to be a kickass songwriter for that to work

Anybody critisizing that Jeff Loomis piece needs to go chase down their country rootes and GTF out of here. That was solid music through and through.

What a bunch of wankers :cry:

:rolleyes:

I liked it alright but I wouldn't play it again anytime soon. He's definitely quite competent there. Not my exact flavor of metallic ice cream though.

Back to the subject of selling out. There is such a thing as selling out; but not the definition that many musicians and fanboys spew forth which is as Jason Newsted put it, "Selling out is playing the same types of songs that the fan's want you to play. That's selling out."

While there is a partial truth to that, no- that's not it. That school of thought ignores the central element and spins it an entirely different way than what the truth actually is. It ignores and deceptively dismisses the real issue here of not being true to yourself which is what's the real definition of selling out.

While PL may have a slightly more commercial sound, SX still hasn't demonstrated that they aren't being true to themselves in their compositions. And though PL does walk a narrow rope in their flirtation with these ideas, SX has yet to demonstrate any abdication of their basic songwriting principles and ambitions.

But if they continue going in the direction that PL was heading, then they may stray too far and the narrow rope may become quite perilous.

Sorry people that blat about every friggin note somebody plays is the wanker, produce or shut up, thats my feelings on it. I've been listening to progressive and fusion and blues since the early 70's, people play what they come up with, thats the bottom line and those that critisize have not got a single fucking note that can be heard to show they have some secret revelation on how "music should actually be done"

twang can be quite fine, if ones not lying on their back while sobing and the tears rolled down and pluged their ears.

more from one of the predominate forces in modern intrumental music

and lastly here come the violin to sooth the tears of the wankers, its OK boys, its only music

Last edited by a moderator:
If that be the case I would say, me being a crusty old Dregs head would snuff such later music, but I find much merit in that Loomis song and so many others that start all the wanking here on UM. Its like the place people come that cant stand musicians with extreme talent.

The soli? what's that.

Look beyond Jato Unit, there's a ton of awesome songs on that album with much less wanking. Although there is a fat lot of wanking in that album :lol: but what do you expect, the new nevermore album is very toned back guitar wise

Loomis isn't a wanker, not a bit. He's very technical and accurate, and I'm convinced he puts a lot of work in his leads. It's just, let's put it this way, what he comes up with is unappealing to me.

Same thing goes for most of JP post 1995, Malmsteen post 1985, Rusty Cooley... and the list goes on and on...

For me, it isn't a matter of "how it should be done" like razoredge wrote, but a matter of "how I like it to be done".

I listen to that album...

I do too fwiw; didn't mean to say "nobody" like that, but you get what I meant I guess. I definitely agree with you about the general state of the genre, but hopefully Symphony X will produce. Time pressure is the biggest album-killer, and I assume that most of the negative effects a label can have on a band comes in that form, so hopefully we're not seeing that here.

Say what you will about Jeff Loomis but to judge Nevermore based on his solo album (Zero Order...) is incorrect. Check out Nevermore´s latest album "The Obsidian Conspiracy" and get back to the topic.

Tour with Candlemass, Symphony X & Nevermore would be epic!

Can't really stand much of that Loomis record. I'm a fan of his playing in Nevermore, but his solo record just fell flat for me unfortunately. Points to Steve for the Dixie Dregs post. Back to the original point...this would be a cool tour if it is indeed happening. I've missed SX the past couple times, so I'm looking forward to possibly seeing them again.