circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Cannae – Gold Becomes Sacrifice
Prosthetic Records – September 6th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

cover_gbs.jpg

There’s some melodeath and –core on Gold Becomes Sacrifice, but I hear a lot of thrash. And not unlike Enemy is Us, a band that has At the Gates’s Slaughter of the Soul coursing through their veins, Cannae have taken more than a few hints from the influential, Gothenburg outfit. As you may infer from the previous statements, I wasn’t exactly flabbergasted or blindsided by the amount of originality I was handed, because there’s not much. Nonetheless, this tight unit redeems itself through various means, and their third full-length is a likeable concoction.

Gold Becomes Sacrifice doesn’t even last forty minutes, but the short bursts of speed and aggression aren’t to be downplayed, or underestimated for that matter. “Rats, Snakes and Thieves” and “Faceless Portrait” serve as great nice-to-meet-you compositions, as the former flings everything at the listener – from sturdy musicianship to squeal-filled leads to NWOAHM syncopated rhythms – in an attempt to win favor with him/her. Not to be overshadowed by its predecessor, though, “Faceless Portrait” is perhaps a dead ringer for At the Gates worship, and it’s as if DuLong parrots Lindberg to a certain degree. Aside from the lack of ingenuity, Cannae are skilled players, and I was hard pressed when trying to detect any vulnerability within their audible projections. In other words, while the guitarists and drummer aren’t reinventing the wheel, the things they choose to play are undeniably anchored. If anything, Gold Becomes Sacrifice has a strong foundation, fully resistant to any kind of erosion, and of particular note is “Marked by Monuments” – a smoker that broods prior to transitioning into wily, energetic passages. I promptly skip “Collapse,” however, because it’s a deflated instrumental, which needlessly breaks the continuity and separates the album into halves. Lamentably, after the distracting imposter subsides, Cannae aren’t able to lasso my attention as easily, and the latter half of the record fails to present a worthy opponent to “Faceless Portrait” and “Marked by Monuments.”

Other than their obvious ties to the past, these guys have numerous things working in their favor. The musicianship, production, and competence fly high above average, while even their imitation skills are beyond passable. This is just fun to listen to, providing that the listener doesn’t obsess and fret over the conspicuous At the Gates influence that permeates most – if not all – of Gold Becomes Sacrifice. Those with severe unyielding qualms are advised to take their business elsewhere.

7.5/10

Official Cannae Website
Official Prosthetic Records Website