cant run my profire 2626 because......

DJdisaster

Nov 15, 2009
I bought my profire 2626 and a pci firewire card and i get them in the mail.
i open computer to install pci card and it just so happens to be the i dont not have a single pci slot.....
but i have 3 PCIe x1 slots -.-

i visited the m-audio profire2626 webpage and it says i need a FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394a) port

i went online and searched it as a PCIe card and i think i may have found one but i would love reassurance from this helpful community!
this is the one i am looking at
http://www.startech.com/product/PEX1394A2-2-Port-PCI-Express-1394-FireWire-400-Card

Yeah IEEE 1394a / Firewire 400 just specifies the standard connection and properties, but not the chip itself. There are a couple of Firewire chipset manufacturers and audio-interfaces are kinda picky. I believe there are a few threads on this forum complaining about the 2626 not working properly with non-Texas Instruments chipsets.. so better be safe than sorry. If the Firewire PCI-E card has a TI chipset then it will say so in the description.

For the card you linked the description says (click on Technical Specifications):
Chipset ID: JMicron: JMB381
, one of the others says Agere, and that's a crappy chip causing lots of problems. I didn't found a PCI-E FW400 card with a TI chip on the website you linked, and I know only German pc-components websites. Just search the web a little.

I have run my Profire 2626 with my crappy Dell Inspiron 1525 stock....just plugged it into the firewire port and ran it. I don't quite grasp the whole chipset thing.

I have run my Profire 2626 with my crappy Dell Inspiron 1525 stock....just plugged it into the firewire port and ran it. I don't quite grasp the whole chipset thing.

Some chipset have problems with it, that's all. Your own experience is not a generality, and mine is not texas instrument either and worked well, for the record. Maudio recommends Texas Instrument ones because that's maybe what they based their design on.

such a good posts! and most importantly it is very useful. thanks, I will give it a try. but I didn’t quite understand what to do with the port scan and open ports? I would also like to know is there anything to search for United States zip codes? I use it https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/ now, but maybe there is something else? I often have to send parcels for work and it would be cool to find something.