Can't wait to finish this F'ing Mix..

Mar 21, 2007
NH, USA
www.myspace.com
Told this band I'd record their 6 Song demo for nothing since I've got to build a portfolio.. 4 months later, and I'm still at it..

The drum editing alone took me close to a month.. yeesh.

at any rate.. it's close to done.. and I'm looking to see if anyone can take me down a peg by picking out everything that makes your ears twinge.. which may be quite a bit at this point.

.. to answer at least 2 questions right off the bat.. YES! I did use the sneap kick.. although I scooped out 200k, and boosted 4000k..

and YES!! the drums are real, but I used DKFH snare, and toms cause the snare/tom tracks sounded like anus.. when you're working with ghetto drum mics, you gotta do whatcha gotta do to make the band sound good.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!

Wispering to a Disapearance

CHEERS!! :kickass:

Ive been mixing all day so my ears are a little burnt out.:Smug:

Sounds pretty good actually but i think the drums out power the guitars. Do the vocals have verb? If so get rid of that. Guitars might be a bit thin sounding or maybe mix is lacking bass guitar to fatten up guitars. I'm listening on cheap computer speakers and like i said I'm a bit burnt out.

But honestly I'm just nit picking you got a pretty dam good mix though. :headbang:

Hopefully some others will chime in and help also, but good luck bro..........

thanks man.

yeah the vox have verb.. and yeah I agree.. the more I listen to the mix the less I'm digging the verb.

I agree with you about the guitars beeing a bit thin.. maby bringing them up in volume will help..

the bassist was terrible.. so I kinda barried him in the mix.. the guitarist is going to be re-recording the bass this weekend.. don't think he told the bassist though :lol:

I quad tracked the guitars.. so there's no good excuse for the thin sound.

l_8aa8496e59f7bc5da2e9524cc7725442.jpg

so there's gotta be something I'm doing in the mix that's F'n it up..

I used Sneaps C4 guitar compression.. and panned the tracks (1 track of 6505, 1 track Johnson each) at 100, and 80.

Sounds good on my laptop but I will check it later on my better listening deal. I know what you mean by editing drums/having a shit kit to work with the last band I just did everything was replaced but the cymbols and the snare had to be eliminated in the OH (as did the toms) by EQing them out and masking them :)yuck:) witch made teh cymbols sound like washy crap. There wasn't anything I could do about it, I even exspained that his kit WILL sound like shit, he didn't listen and in the end the snare sounded a bit drum machine to me.

All well life of recording cheapo high school bands...

I like it, sounds nice, bass will help lots i think, lil less reverb on the vocals, toms sound like they are big plastic bins though!?

Yea i feel yea on the bassist thing though. The band I'm trying to mix (keyword trying) the bassist had strings that were atleast a year old and then played with his fingers and kept clanking the pickup popping and crap and then on top of all that was sloppy as fuck. On top of that guitars were sooooooo sloppy. Believe me when i say you could have it much worse!!

But yea maybe try a boost at 100hz on the guitar keep the boost pretty narrow (skinny) so it don't get woffy. Worth a shot but yea if you can retrack bass try that also.

yup.. I pretty much replaced everything but the overheads, ride, and high hat.. the Snare was the most prominent sound in ALL of those tracks so I had to eq it out the best I could.

the toms are running through the same verb as the snare.. which is probably why they sound so huge.. and plastic.. I'll have to see if I can route them elsewhere.

the bass we recorded with was probably 7 years old.. and I'm pretty sure it had the original strings on it.. HA! plus the bassist uses the twittle technique where he uses one finger and twittles it back and forth across the string. which is just aweful..

I suspect the guitarist will be using a pick.. and I'm going to have him keep it simple, and clean.. won't let him anywhere near the mix till he swaps out those strings..

We're recording tomorrow.. If I'm lucky I'll be able to record ALL the bass tracks in one long session, and that'll be that.

wish me luck!! :loco:

keep the crits coming.. this has been extremely helpful.

Dude, the mix sounds freakin bad! If my band were getting this mix for free, I'd be happy, even if I were paying for it. I agree, take the verb off the vox, and yeah bring those guitars up. To me it sounds like they could use a little more beef, try messing with the low end, and low end mids.

hey man
i really dig the music - what band is it? really good stuff!

I've since re-recorded the bass.. which sounds 10314843614368 Times better...

I've stripped the vox of reverb. lowered the verb all around. bumped up the guitars in the mix and lowered the drums slightly..

I took the Johnson amp recording out of the mix all together.. I found that it just muddied up the sound rather than thickening it.

I'll post an updated version soon.

The band is called Sever the Lost.. they're from Manchester, New Hampshire USA.

www.myspace.com/severthelost

if you check out their site.. fair warning.. they have a bad habit of posting songs WELL before they've been properly mixed.. SOB's :Smug:

Cheers for the comments!! :kickass:

New mix definately sounds better to me. Bass sounds a bit loud and up front. I definitely like loud bass that you hear as well as feel but i think its little too out front. My opinion. Guitars sound too lack a little body. Adding body to something that was captured is definitely a chore. Vox sound much better without that other verb. Congrats, I definately don't think your time will go unappreciated with the final product for the clients brother!!

That sounds freakin SICK! This bad is good, I like what the drummer does, especially with the ride at the beginning. The singer sort of reminds me of Chuck (RIP). Good job. What mic did you use on the vox?

Thanks for all the feed back!! I'll look into taming the bass a bit more.. and try to beef up the guitars.

When I recorded the vox.. the singer was a bit self conscious.. so I had him record each song with his SM58 mic just like he was on stage or at practice.. like most vocalist of his genre he tends to cup the diaphragm of the mic in his hands and scream his bloody guts out into it.. producing a muffled boomy track.

I took that track, compressed the hell out of it to keep the peaks shallow, and lowered it so it was just barely audible.

Then once he got his bearings we recorded the main vox with an M-Audio Solaris, and layered it on top of the previous track.
solaris.jpg