Give me your opinion on this 5150 tone and these drum samples i made

brianhood

No Care Ever
I got bored and made some snare and tom samples tonight. Let me know what you guys think. The guitar is 5150 though maxon OD808 and mesa(my usual). Just tweaked the settings a good bit to fit the sound of the band more. The song is unmixed, unedited(for the most part), and i still have all the automation to do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/BitchGypsy/Drum Test Mix song 1.mp3

Here is the little drum sample station i set up. I just brought each drum under the overheads 1 at a time and processed them separately. I've tried just using the actual sound from the live mics, but with the amount of processing i do, the cymbal bleed from the snare and tom mics is louder than the actual overheads. The only drum sample that isn't mine is the kick. My kick mic crapped out, so i'm waiting on a new one to come in before i can make any decent samples.

d0729240.jpg

51153868.jpg

Sm57 on top and bottom of snare and toms. Rode NT 5 for overheads, and AT4040 for room mic(fairly close room mic).
Just eq and compression on each drum, as well as parallel compression, and a slight amount of harmonic exciter on snare.

I like that guitar tone a lot. Very fitting for the feel of the song.

I like the snare as well, but if anything, maybe a little over-bearing at times, but it all sounds great, dude. Good job. Toms sound great as well.

This mix is very smart and clean. Everything is in it's right place.

Really cool, bouncy snare sound there.

I think the 5150 doesn't fit this kind of music. Just sounds flat and artificial. Definitely needs something more raunchy ala Soldano, Marshall, Bogner etc.

What snare were u using? Mapex black panther?

Diggin the drums! ... but i thing the 5150 doesnt fit in the mix that well!

Love that snare and toms!!!!!!!!!!

The 5150 tone doesnt do it for me for that song. On which chancel are you?
I would go with the green one without a tubescreamer, and back of the gain.
A more open song would realy help.
Also the kick is to fat and clicky for that style of music, I would go with a more roomy kick with more body.

But great work on the samples

Snare is great.

Agreed that the 5150 doesn't really fit; at least not how you have it dialed in. I think you'd be better off running a podfarm marshall preamp out of your interface into your 5150's power amp and then micing it up.

sorry if i sound dumb what is automation?
And How do i automation? hahahaha

we are ALL here to learn man...

ill try to explain the best i can by keeping it simple.

automation is when you write different volume/pan/fx send level changes to a track for different parts/sections of your song.

you can do this on pretty much any audio application out there. just find on your track the view menu, and instead of waveform, change it to either volume or pan or sends you have assigned to that track, and a line will appear. with the tools your program supplies, you can insert points here and there to make level changes.

i hope i helped you man, my English isn't that good.

5150 isn't fitting, but that snare is fucking sex. Great work on that dude!! Toms sound pretty good as well, maybe a bit low endy but that's down to processing I'd guess.

Did you arrange each piece of the kit under the OH mics according to how they'd be setup on a real kit, or just smack in the middle?

5150 isn't fitting, but that snare is fucking sex. Great work on that dude!! Toms sound pretty good as well, maybe a bit low endy but that's down to processing I'd guess.

Did you arrange each piece of the kit under the OH mics according to how they'd be setup on a real kit, or just smack in the middle?

I just put them smack in the middle as possible since i pan each tom separately. Now that i think about it, i'm sure there is a better way to do it, but since i import the file into drumagog on a mono track, it seems to work.

cocktease is cocktease

OH HAI GUIZE CHECK OUT THESE SICK SAMPLES I MADE,

yet no link to them :|

really brian, YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT :|