Real drum sample

Parka Dez

Jun 30, 2009
It has been a while since I miked up a kit so Im getting a bit of practice in before I have any serious work coming in.

Just overheads, snare top/bottom and kick drum on this. Want to get the basics right in room before adding room mics or toms etc etc. Layered with samples, not replaced. Still getting to know the room, and it is very dead so would appreciate comments regarding this as Im adding quite a bit of room reverb to every mic. Would getting a wooden floor help with the snare sound?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/765705/Samples/Drum Test.wav

Drums sound pretty decent but sound like there is a lot of replacement going on. The cymbals sound awful tbh, they sound like very cheap cymbals... not something you can change with mic'ing, only with buying some decent ones.

Cheers for the feedback. The drums are about 30-70% (sample-original). With the kick in the higher percentage.

The cymbals are actually quite high quality (Istanbul, and Sabian AAX), however the majority are cracked, are broken in one way or another. I thought the cymbals may sound the way they do partly due to the fact the room is so dead. Ill definitely try out some new cymbals soon.