Car speakers suggestions.

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
I'm thinking it's about time to put some new speakers/stereo and maybe a sub in my car. School me on good brands/and stuff. Unfortunately my car's speaker holes can only fit 6.5".

Also, if I get a mono amp + sub do I need anything else? like a crossover or extra power/capacitors etc? I've been thinking of getting some Focals but I kinda wan to keep the cost low - as my car sucks.

I wouldn't recommend infinity's. I have some, they are a little bit harsh when you crank them up. You might want to look into some component sets with the tweeters separated from the mids. Might want to check out Polk, or for a bit more money Boston Acoustics makes some really nice speakers.

As for the amp you wont need a cap or a crossover unless its recommended by the stuff you're using. I have a 1400watt amp in my car and no cap or crossover, it goes straight from the power to the subs.

But like with studio monitors, its a good idea to go somewhere you can listen to a bunch of car speakers. Places like FRY's and Best Buy have them all set up to check out. You can more easily make a decision for yourself within your price range. But dont buy car audio from best buy, their prices are stupid and only a fool would buy stuff there unless you check out prices online before buying.

True, but the fact that they include installation instructions and everything you need in terms of harnesses, adapters, etc is pretty sweet, and I would say worth paying a bit extra for (though not ridiculously more of course)

Oh definitely good for the install and misc. parts. I forget about that stuff; I usually have everything I need and know what to take apart. If you don't have the knowledge or misc parts then it probably is worth the extra cash for the convenience.

Because it was recommended above I will say that I have stayed away from headunits made by Pioneer and Alpine. I don't mind Alpine speakers, I went with R series splits in my car with a Cadence slimline sub and 5 channel amp, with a JVC headunit. I've had nothing but good experience with JVC headunits, this being my second.

I'd say workout a budget based on the volume you listen to/ want to reach, then go from there.

Good thread. My new STi really needs some decent speakers. Also, a good head unit makes a large difference in the quality of the music I have found.