Career change bullshit.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
So, let's say I've been offered a job that has more pay, less stress, and is a work from home position. The only downside is that it's in an industry that means nothing to me, instead of being involved in music gear, which, even with all the whacked out problems, I do enjoy quite a bit. Would I be a fool to turn it down?

I already left said wooing industry once (twice if you count the layoff in 2008 :loco: ), and never really liked it, but the work is easy and the pay is much better than insane broke-ass music industry dollerz. And actually I'm already moonlighting there anyhow, working 4 to 8 hours per week at night just for extra cash.

Career change stories appreciated ITT. Or just discuss + complain about your job, whatever. Random Judas Priest videos would also be fine. Maybe lurch will even chime in, isn't he a realtor now?

i dont think you should do it

i cant imagine a better job for you than working with bass stuff

keep it real man, mo money mo problems

Random Judas Priest videos would also be fine
how about relevant judas priest videos?

What have you achieved now you're old
Did you fulfill ambition, do as you were told
Or are you still doing the same this year
Should I give sorrow, or turn 'round and sneer

I know that the prospects weren't all that good
But they improved, and I'd have thought that you could
Have strived for that something we all have deep inside
Not let it vanish, along with your pride

Now with the aid of your new walking stick
You hobble along through society thick
And look mesmerized by the face of it all
You keep to the gutter in case you fall

I can't go on

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually not looking for more money, it's the less stress option that concerns me most. Without going into lengthy details.........................

[SCENE MISSING]

.......................I just want to complain. I absolutely ADORE working with basshit all day, but the real world problem of an entire industry run by whackos becomes bothersome at times such as these.

Jerry I knew your answer would be Agalloch. :loco: I can't make it though, gotta work on a big project for the part-time thingy Sunday night. Honestly the last time they were in town was a distinct highlight of my heavy metal existence, if they broke up at the end of that set I could not have witnessed a higher peak.

This song is great. :headbang:

Last edited:
do you mind telling us exactly what it is you do in this other mysterious job

Construction estimating, masonry in particular. Same shit I did for a decade, read plans, estimate numbers, type bids, call contractors, etc. Pretty easy because 1) I'm good at math and 2) I did it for so many years.

It's definitely not fulfilling though, it's a Real Job. Honestly the only chance I have to going back to construction full time is if this place complete falls apart, and even after 10 years of dancing (nearly 4 with me at the helm), shit keeps growing and getting better. We have a huge deal with Warwick right now, that combined with our Ibanez deal and we're sitting relatively pretty. Relatively, although not this week. Those are our big money accounts that allow us to make cool shit for our hundreds of small customers, which is the real drive for me. Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Mayones, and hell even Spector uses our pickups occasionally. Neat.

I thought last night and think this now, this thread is the best first world problem I have right now: my fun job actually takes work/effort sometimes. Oh the humanity! :loco:

Construction estimating, masonry in particular. Same shit I did for a decade, read plans, estimate numbers, type bids, call contractors, etc.
this sounds boring as hell and i wouldnt recommend spending a lot of your life doing it

this sounds boring as hell and i wouldnt recommend spending a lot of your life doing it
I already regret spending my 20s doing just that, so thank you for the reminder. I remember having just turned 30 years old and staring at a set of plans, probably the 10,000th since I was 19, and saying "is this really what I wanted out of life?" The answer was no, and shortly afterward I ended up here. Ah fuckit, I'll stick around. Hopefully we'll get paid on Friday. :loco:

Fun fact: my boss is crazy, but that is partially why he is so good at what he does, embodying the whole Mad Scientist bit. Plus he's a good friend too, so there's that. And my crew probably bitches about my decisions when I'm not around anyhow, haha.

"Man I can't believe NAD told me to work again, fuck that guy! . . . Oh hey man, we jammin' tonight?"

The circle of life continues...

i dont know shit about construction, but i did change careers back in June. I'd been in sales since 2001 and I've hated it since 2001. Sure, it paid the bills when times were good, but goddamn i hate people so it didnt fit too well.

now i work for at&t and love the job. i still have to talk to people, but a lot less and i'm not convincing them to buy some piece of crap. now i just install internet, tv, and phone. i drive a company truck, work outdoors a lot, lots of overtime, union job. i'm loving it, just wish i was better at it. thatll come with time.

in short, no, dont do it. if i went back into sales, yall will see me on the news as that guy who walked into a business popping caps

The Israelites are handing out $800 bonuses next week. I work for a good company, doing the most mindless shit imaginable. The longer I stay there, the bigger the trench I dig. :erk:

We made payroll this week. My crew is fucking amazing. :kickass:

I remember back in the pre-2006 construction days we used to get $5,000 boners at the end of the year. Well, I did, which means most others got $1,000 and then I'm sure a few above me got $25,000. I honestly can't say those were necessarily happy times, because all it did was pay off the debt I collected throughout the year.

These days I just don't spend the money. No bonus, no debt, no problem.

Yeah, I'd say stay where you are. If you don't need the extra money, don't trade your contentment for it. Sounds like the current job has its ups and downs, but at least it's something you really get satisfaction from. My job (tutor and supplemental instructor) doesn't pay much, but I really enjoy it. Plus, it just makes sense for my path to professordom since it will count as required teaching experience when I apply to be a professor at the same school. Two years down, three more to go.

Career change coming next summer for me. It's been in the works since 2009 and it should work out nicely in the end.
Career changes are difficult. I don't recommend them unless there is something seriously wrong with the current career and/or you have your needs and desires clearly laid out and know exactly how to get them.

Good luck.

You still going to be working in the health care industry, or removing thyself entirely?

My desire is to retire at 40 and never have to work again. That probably won't happen.