CD medium question

SpewChunks

Apr 25, 2006
Wollongong, Australia
Ok, here's the deal, as a home project i've just finished mixing/mastering my friends bands cd, there is approx 150 mins worth of audio so it'll be spread out onto 2 cd's.
I mastered it in 24/48 with -0.3dbfs ceiling on the limiter, saved to 24/41, dithered and saved to 16/41.

So now i'm burning it to cd-r (some tdk inkject printable cd-r80's) and i'm getting this wierd split second stuttering spanning over one and a half tracks that eventually dissappears, but it only seems to happen on some cd players and the stuttering is not in the actual audio files.

My question is, am i using the wrong brand or type of cd's to burn onto? Perhaps someone could recommend me something better, i always though TDK were supposed to be good. I've tried burning at 4x and 32x, to no avail, the stuttering seems to appear in slightly different places on different burns. I even tried burning on a different cd burner and had the same problem. I remember being told that you can get cd's that are designed specifically for audio burning that are different to cd-r's but i don't think i have noticed them before in the shops.

Thanks, for your help.

As long as the wave files are 16bit 44.1khz you should be fine. What program are you using to burn? Some burners will check for any errors that would violate redbook standard.

I haven't experienced the stuttering myself and it looks like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already.

My preference is Taiyo Yuden cds or dvds, I get them from http://blankmedia.ca
HHB makes good media too.

Burning at slower speed should make them more compatible with older cd players. But you've already said you tried different drives and different speeds.

Thanks for the replies,

What a strange problem... I'm using Nero 6 Express to burn them, disc-at-once. I'll have to check all the settings and make sure there are no problems there. thanks for the media recommendations, i will definintly go out and grab some of those. Perhaps i just ended up with a bad batch or something. Might also try a different free burning program aswell just incase that solves the problem.

TDK discs are so-so...they're the better of the brands you'll find in stores, but still not great. +1 on the TY's...the studio at the school i went to used them exclusively, and with hundreds of discs burned(if not thousands), they never had a single problem with any of them

You may be able to return the dud discs to the store, they are defective afterall.

Try Ashampoo free burning software.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I don't burn many discs, but anythings bound to be better than nero.

At least you aren't using iTunes to burn!