CD or Vinyl? What takes up more of your collection?

What takes up the majority of your music collection?

• CD

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Vinyl

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
Alter, if you have a Goodwill/thrift shop near you, check there. They can sometimes have entire stereo systems if you're lucky.

I own MANY more CDs than vinyls (at the time of this post my ratio is 146:7 :p) but I love records and would love to own more.

I don't own any vinyl, tons of CDs. I don't have anything against vinyl, but CD seems to be the better format to me overall. My parents own hundreds of vinyl records, though.
One thing I like about vinyl - way more space for art. That's a plus.
It seems like everyone favors CDs over vinyl - 20:0

I own MANY more CDs than vinyls (at the time of this post my ratio is 146:7 :p) but I love records and would love to own more.
Do I own more CDs than you? That just blew my mind, considering that you seem to have heard every album ever released, and I'm still a bit of a n00b...

Do I own more CDs than you? That just blew my mind, considering that you seem to have heard every album ever released, and I'm still a bit of a n00b...

You probably own more than I do, but I highly doubt you've heard as much :p if you know what I mean. I buy CDs a hell of a lot, but I have been downloading since 2003/2004. When I buy something, I delete the mp3s (if I had them in the first place) and throw the CD on when I want to listen to it. I own around 300 CDs btw (my ratio was the lowest common denominator of both CD and vinyl counts; 2 :p).

Oh, ok...I assumed that a fraction like 146:7 was just the actual ratio.
I usually buy stuff I haven't heard - I like the surprise. But sometimes it sucks and I wasted my money...still, worth it for the thrill of something kickass.
I mostly listen to music on my computer (buying/owning the cds is purely a show of support for the music/a bizarre need to own everything), but everything on my computer is a rip of a cd. So I've only heard what I own + what a band puts on myspace or what someone plays for me. Downloading is tempting, but I resist, for some reason...

I know for sure I haven't heard half as much. If it's on metal archives there's a 9/10 chance you'll chime in to tell us that it's not bad, but six other obscure things are better.

I don't know whether that is a compliment or insult :p

But yeah...my secret lies in my early thirst for metal knowledge as a lowly freshman in high school...

Back to the topic at hand!

I've got about 1200 or so cd's and about 30 or so vinyls including Ulver's Trilogie boxset and a copy of Summoning's Sounds Of Middle-Earth boxset signed by Both Silenius and Protector themselves,fucking awesome dudes and sick music

Vinyl...trve metal. :headbang::zombie::kickass:

Most of my collection os probably cds, but I have a little over 600 records. If something I like is out on vinyl, I'll buy that over the cd. Luckily most labels are wising up and releasing vinyl with free mp3 downloads. So I can geek out by getting my precious wax AND have a digital copy for my ipod...everybody wins!

Vinyl will live on, but mainly with collectors. CDs will have their collectors as well when another media takes hold.

Cheers!

Well, I count alot of my dads vinyl collection as mine, seeing as I like it so much, so definitely vinyl.