Than all these plastic people
With all their plastic promises
And all their plastic deals
They just can't be themselves
And live their own lives out
They're just an imitation
Of what life's all about
IMITATION OF LIFE!!!!!!

Labyrinth - Sons of Thunder. I think if this one was mastered properly it could give Heaven Denied some more competition. As it stands its a dissapointment because of that horrid production. I hope one day they realize this.

Queensryche's EP

I figured this one would come up, but I really remember getting totally blown away by this record when it first came out. I was stunned that a band out of nowhere could've had such a stellar release for its time, and right out of the gate. This is one that I like just the way it is. "Queen of the Reich" has a great crunch to it...

But, it would be interesting to hear a "brighter" mix...

I was just thinking this last week.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace.

The drums have no weight and the toms and kick drums all sound the same. It's all attack with no body. The guitars could use some low end as well. The vocals and bass sound fine. Even when it was new I never liked the way the album sounded.

Badlands - 1989 self titled and Voodoo Highway

Both need to be released in a package together, along with bonus tracks!

Of course. That way labels can make more money off you.

Remastered albums should only occur at the desire of the artists, due to them disliking the old recordings. It should never start with labels. And think of it this way, if they have to put bonus tracks on it, they are basically saying that a remastered copy really isn't worth it to buy on its own. But if we make you believe that there is some missing gem on this album (i.e. bonus track), we'll get you to buy it!

Remastered albums should only occur at the desire of the artists, due to them disliking the old recordings. It should never start with labels. And think of it this way, if they have to put bonus tracks on it, they are basically saying that a remastered copy really isn't worth it to buy on its own. But if we make you believe that there is some missing gem on this album (i.e. bonus track), we'll get you to buy it!

They are a business and businesses are in business to make money. Having said that, you have to make the conscious decision to buy the product...don't blame the labels for some sort of coersion. You control your spending habits, not the labels.

Wow...I didn't realize that Astral Doors hated the mix on their new album. That release kinda got buried under a bunch of other new releases. I need to pull it out and spin it again...didn't realize it had a crappy mix.

I guess it goes without saying that everyone's top vote should be St. Anger, huh? Although, that album needs a bit more help than just a remix (writing, arrangements, editing, etc.)....hehe!

Rock on!

Well, as much as I appreciate your opinion, I don't agree with you. I'm a fanboy of certain bands I admit, so I really don't care to pay for little bells and whistles for certain bands. I know for a fact that there are some Badlands songs that didn't make final cuts that are really good.

With that said, there's a younger generation out there that might not have gotten their hands on the original Atlantic Recordings from Badlands that are going for $40 a pop on the internet.

What's wrong with the production on either of these?

Nothing is necessarily wrong with the s/t debut, but Voodoo Highway could be beefed up a bit in my opinion. I like Eric Singer's style of drumming better than Jeff Martin's, so that makes a difference for me too. I would like to hear more punch and bottom end to Voodoo Highway that's all.

Wow...I didn't realize that Astral Doors hated the mix on their new album. That release kinda got buried under a bunch of other new releases. I need to pull it out and spin it again...didn't realize it had a crappy mix.

I guess it goes without saying that everyone's top vote should be St. Anger, huh? Although, that album needs a bit more help than just a remix (writing, arrangements, editing, etc.)....hehe!

Rock on!

Ditto on St. Anger. Fix that G.D. snare and cut every song down to about two and half minutes. You'd have their best album since And Justice for All. As is...P.O.S.

Everyone worried about remastering old favorites should read this:

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2006/09/28cover.html

Remastering can damage albums.

Great article. This is exactly what I meant when offering up Rush' "Vapor Trails" in my original post. That was a record that I thought fit the description....listen to a couple songs then can't take it anymore. I actually want it remastered so that it's not as harsh, i.e. less ear fatigue.

Another example of this seems to be Royal Hunt's "Paper Blood"....ouch!

What annoys mean about so many of the remixes that get put out, is that they're not better they're just louder. And in fact that makes most of them actually worse to anybody who listens closely because they only way they could push the overall loudness is by reducing the dynamic range and clipping the peaks. This adds distortion. Most of these "loud" mixes have no sound stage or separation, either. The stupid thing is, if I want the music to play louder I don't need the engineer to butcher the recording, I can always just turn up the volume on my stereo. It's not just remixes either though, many CD's seem to be mastered with this "louder is better" mentality.

Edit: guess I should have read the article Jim linked to, it describes exactly what I'm bitching about. :)