Flaming Death

It must have been strange
Jul 23, 2002
VA
www.dalenet.com
Ceremonial Oath
Carpet
Black Sun Records

Ceremonial Oath, I had heard this name for a long time ago never really paid attention to it. Even one of my buddies at school had a Ceremonial Oath CD but I never bothered listening to it. I missed out because this is one incredible album. Recorded at the legendary Studio Fredman, This is Ceremonial Oath’s second album and was recorded in 1993 featuring some members who go on to be a part of In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates (Tomas Lindberg Vocals on 4-6). From those bands you can assume this is going to be melodic death metal, it is. This album only has 7 tracks, 6 original and a cover of Iron Maiden’s “Hallowed Be Thy Name”.

It took me a long time to get a hold of this album and I was not disappointed when I finally got it. Every song on this album is great, Early melodic death metal at its best. This album reminds me a lot of In Flames’ mini-masterpiece Subterranean that is a very good thing because I love that album. This album has some great acoustic parts and great melodic guitars over some very nice vocals. A very good surprise was how good the production is for this album; I was expecting a lot worse.

This album is up there with The Jester Race, The Gallery, Storm of Lights Bane, and Heartwork. I do not have any complaints about this album at all. One of the reasons I chose to review this album is because I could not find very much info or reviews about this band so I thought I would make one. Go out and buy this one if you can find it. If not find it somewhere else because it is a must have. Song Recommendation is “The Day I Buried”. 10/10

Jon Dale
Reviewed for Urkraft Webzine 10/13/02
www.urkraft.tk

Track List

The Day I Buried
Dreamsong
Carpet
The Shadowed End
One Of Us/Nightshade
Immortalized
Hallowed By Thy Name

you should listen first album... "Carpet" is nothing special, but "The Book Of Truth" was very good...