CFH..FUCK!!?

wow this really is horrible. must have used computer speakers for monitoring haha.

and on the "we`re taking over this town" phils voice clips the master limiter hard.

and the guitar sounds so weak on the intro and middle section

Are you guys only referencing and judging based on this clip posted on soundcloud? If so, how can you know that someone didn't make a shitty "remaster" on purpose to throw people off. I'll probably go take a listen to the actual CD in one of my local record shops to see what it sounds like for reals.

Are you guys only referencing and judging based on this clip posted on soundcloud? If so, how can you know that someone didn't make a shitty "remaster" on purpose to throw people off. I'll probably go take a listen to the actual CD in one of my local record shops to see what it sounds like for reals.

Rhino uploaded it so I am guessing this IS official.

But seriously, how do you know for sure that just becuase the uploader name says "rhino" in it somewhere means that it's official? Plus, it's an online stream that could have been compressed to hell and back. I'm just saying, reserve judgement until you either have the disc in-hand, or you download a high quality version. I would be really surprised if the final product sounded this shitty. Nevermind, I take that back... after metallica's clipping death, I guess I wouldn't be that surprised, but still.

And is everyone simply judging it based on the stream of this one song? Or does anyone already have the "remaster" in-hand to judge?

EDIT: Ok, so I guess it was uploaded by Rhino. I guess I'm still shocked at how shitty that clip is. Here's another link to their facebook "widgit" that has a few versions from the new release:
http://www.facebook.com/Pantera?v=app_7146470109

You're all probably right and this is going to be just another piece of shit remaster. No use in even discussing it. Ciao.

Doesn't compressions hack up and remove some of the top end, not add in a shitload?

You're mixing things up here. A compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal by manipulating the amplitude of the signal, not it's harmonic content (wavelengths). Theoretically at least, in practice, compressors (especially analogue ones) do colour the sound to varying degrees. But that's not the issue here.

What we're hearing here sounds very much like artefacts caused by driving a limiter really hard (which is essentially a compressor with a very high ratio). Where a compressor (depending on type and settings) lowers or expands signal peaks, the (brickwall) limiter will cut them off depending on the threshold, leaving clipped-off peaks that sound harsh and unpleasant.

You're mixing things up here. A compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal by manipulating the amplitude of the signal, not it's harmonic content (wavelengths). Theoretically at least, in practice, compressors (especially analogue ones) do colour the sound to varying degrees. But that's not the issue here.

What we're hearing here sounds very much like artefacts caused by driving a limiter really hard (which is essentially a compressor with a very high ratio). Where a compressor (depending on type and settings) lowers or expands signal peaks, the (brickwall) limiter will cut them off depending on the threshold, leaving clipped-off peaks that sound harsh and unpleasant.

I think he was talking about MP3 compression

Maybe he's using some spectral high frequency enhancement for MP3 audio and/or forgot to use more lossy codec. Anyways, what is Rhino Records... dude is selling tons of songs just like that?

Rhino Records is a subsidiary of Warner Music Group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhino_Entertainment

Essentially, they manage any back catalog material/remasters that were under the old Warner family labels. It's highly likely that contractually, they had the rights to put out this reissue with little or no permission required from Pantera, since they essentially are the parent company with master rights defined under the old contract.

Rhino essentially sits around and mints money off of other peoples' hard work from years/decades in the past. They are total bastards with many botched re-releases under their belt, but this has to be the most offensive one yet (to my ears, anyway.) I get the impression that the company is largely managed top-down by old industry fat cats on autopilot who hire young corporate types into cubicles with little or no industry knowledge or experience. Sort of one step above internship, or perhaps not even that.

All harsh, yet justified criticism aside:

All of the remaining Ex-Pantera members (of that line-up) were unusually deeply involved in this project. Even Phil... They provided liner notes, photos etc. and signed off the package as a whole. Both Vinnie and Phil said that in recent interviews.

All harsh, yet justified criticism aside:

All of the remaining Ex-Pantera members (of that line-up) were unusually deeply involved in this project. Even Phil... They provided liner notes, photos etc. and signed off the package as a whole. Both Vinnie and Phil said that in recent interviews.

That's cool, I had heard that Phil wrote up some liner notes, but I didn't know they were deeply involved on any other level. They both must suffer severe high end hearing loss. That's really the only explanation for them being OK with this. It's also not surprising - they came up during a period of time where hearing protection awareness among metal bands wasn't what it is today.

That said, the original mix/master was very bright as it was, it's amazing that anybody would want even more sizzle.

Back to Rhino - to be fair to them for a second - I'm sure a lot of the legacy artists they do re-releases for are either not around, or are too busy to be bothered.

Wow, I really didnt expect it to be THAT bad, and THAT noticeable. Seriously, did the guy listen to it or what? Do we have a name for the engineer?

They sound ok man, i still like the org mixes though, there was no need to remaster the songs to begin with.

But seriously they sound nothing like the link that was posted to begin with.
I mean cmon, no one could remix a song that bad! hence why i digged deeper to search out the proper remixes.

I wasn't aware you couldn't get Spotify in the US, that really sucks dude :puke:

I deleted every album/mp3 from my computer since discovering Spotify (its that good!