charge for semi-pro session work?

trym^^

Nov 15, 2005
berlin
hi all.
recently got the request to arrange and record guitars for
a whole album (9 tracks). thing is, i don't really know the guy and at first
it seemed like he was asking a favor, just general advice, which then
grew into this whole painstaking process.
i'm by no means a professional sessionplayer, but i know my way around
pop/rock production and arrangements plus i got some nice guitars and amps
which per se are a value for the "client".
i honestly don't like his songs, so i thought i could ask for payment.
what would you charge per song in this kind of scenario?
one song will probably take between 3 and 6 hours of work.

id say way less than 300 euros...your not professional so you can't rly charge the same as a professional

Mannequin: a professional would charge 150-200 for ONE hour of work. He said he might need 3-6 hours per song, he doesn't like the songs, he'll have to give up the rights to his playing AND provide amps etc.

If you don't like the material personally, you should at least get paid properly.

In the end, this of course totally depends on your normal standards of work and payment. I charge 80-120 Euros for an hour of my photography work. So to me 300 Euros per day is a normal to low payment.

My girlfriend on the other hand feels that 100-200 Euros per day is a lot of money. So it really comes down to what you are used to.

sorry smy1 i misread the original post - I think your correct about the price stated but i don't think trym would be able to get away with that because as of right now the person he is doing this for currently thinks this is a favor. If he comes up to him with a hefty bill then it would probably scare him away he will go to someone else...

Mannequin: yes, that could be very possible. Then again, trym doesn't like the music anyway ...

In cases like this (where I actually don't care for the work), I quote a high fee. Then the prospective client can either say no (and I won't have to do the work) or yes (and I get paid really well). I'd do the same if I were trym in this case. Unless he really needs the money.

And who knows, maybe the dude has a rich aunt who pays the bills? :)