Cheap/free spaces for guerilla recording

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
In a few weeks I'm going to be recording some drums for a pop-punk/emo band i've posted on here before (called Hindsights) and we want to find an interesting and inexpensive (if not free) space to use for guerilla recording.

I understand no acoustically untreated room will be ideal but what types of buildings/spaces would you guys recommend for this?

Find some warehouse, possibly with lots of old furniture and books, or some similar materials that will soak up the sound as much as possible. If you could find some mattresses and strategically place them around the place you'd use for recording, it would be even better. Actually, drew_drummer from this forum used something similar to record his own band (it was a furniture warehouse), and the recording sounded really good.

Yeah find a large room where you can make noise. I track all my drums in a church and it's awesome. The room tone you get is excellent and all the close mics also benifit from not having tons of early reflections in them.

If you are tracking in a big room, gobo off your cymbals from the room mics as they can get washy and will limit what you can do compression wise with you room mic.

whatever you do do not record in a room smaller than 200 square ft. Warehouses are a great idea. I'd rather have a room a tad bit overly lively than a boxy one anyday.

^^^^^never say neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. haha.

sorry, i'm a smartass today. but i'm right. =D

Whats up CJ? I guess for creative purposes anything goes. If you ever track a emo band get them to track vox in a bathroom. It just might have the suicideish sound they're going for :lol:

With all seriousness though, I can't believe the room I used to track vocals in when I first started. It was like claustrophobic small, maybe 8x10 at the most. Dead as a doornail so I thought it was fine... Little did I know the boxy peaks around 600hz would wreak havoc on my already thick voice and turn my recordings into mud overload.