Cheap gear that surprised you (lets say under $300)

Jet City JCA50, got it as a straight trade for my Peavey Windsor (which I bought for £190) and to be honest it's one of my favourite amps to record.

My Mapex M-Birch kit only cost me £80, gets used on almost every record I do and at the very least I'm keeping my toms all natural lately.

Got a Tama Metalworks 12"x4" snare for like £40, awesome cracky snare that's great for blastbeats.

Ermz what pickups did you put in your SZ?

That little Jet City H20 was a shock in the studio.

+1
Using that little thing in conjunction with a 6505 for my debut album. Really like it!

Also:
190166.jpg

FMR RNLA
Cheap and nothing special to behold...but I love it on anything that needs to smack and on vocals while recording. Haven't found a plugin yet that does what it does.

TS7-26425e718e8ccb9d8185550545a0e1e0.jpg

Ibanez TS7 (discontinued)
Cost me around 40 euros new when i got it around 10 years ago. I like it every bit as much as all the 200 euros tubescreamers I've heard. I will be sad on the day it dies.
I also like the DE7 delay pedal of this series on tape mode. Very simple but it just works. Think I paid 50 euros for that one.

I also dig the latest generation of Peavey Bandits. Got that one as my practice setup together with a gt-10 in 4CM setup for a while now, and I really enjoy playing it, both on clean and distortion. When I turn it up, I'm not thinking about my guitar tone; I'm just playing. That's always a good sign to me :)
Don't know if that's around 300 dollars, but eh.

Not a problem.

OC703 or alike = roughly 8 - 10 bucks a piece (2x4x2inch) Generally 6 per bundle.

60 x 4 = (24 sheets , $240) that would make 12 4 inch panels. personally id make 6 inch in corners and use whats left for panels.

add 60.00 for materials (fabric, wood, staples etc.)

$300.00

Exactly!

1375055_10151590631756971_1668811644_n.jpg

There are a bunch more behind/next to the couch (on which I'm sitting while taking the photo), as well as above the mixing position.

Bought a Rondo Music bass guitar(Fender P-Bass copy I think) after reading some comments about it on this forum. Sounds pretty good for 99 bucks.

Some amazing stuff i've picked up and that the studio owns for under £300,

First that jumps to mind is the worldmax black on brass 14x6.5 snare, unbelievable snare, we lined it up against our own black beauty and every other snare that comes through the studio, 9/10 it wins out in a rock context.

The joyo overdrive/ TS clone, got this for £25 at a local guitar store closing down sale, amazing sounding OD,

Cascade Fathead, without a doubt my favorite guitar cab mic in this price bracket, even up against other more expensive ribbons like the 4038 it wins out,

As ermz already mentioned the ibanez SZ, i have a sz320 that i swapped for a epi les paul that i paid just under £300 for, great guitar, i put emgs in it when i got it, really fancy a change now though,

And also just because i can, i got a beautiful gordon smith for £40 used here in belfast, the bolt on neck had taken some damage and the screw had pulled some wood out out of the neck, but the price of fixing it was less than £10 i'm going to change the p-ups, they sound kinda poo, but it is the best playing guitar i have ever picked up,

here is a shit photo of it all fixed :) looks pink but is actually a lovely red

2ceglrb.jpg

boss sd-1... best $30 i have ever spent. pairs great with my 77 marshall jmp.

also the dod "extreme" flanger. gets a wide range of tones and is more than usable in a live situation. and at $25 you cant go wrong :)

I found a local supplier for OC703 and 705 in Syracuse so my home treatment was affordable as well. All the options I've seen that involve shipping are just horrendous. I think I went over $300 though.

Fabric was the biggest bitch actually. The red cedar frames were free and I think I spend less than $250 for 3 bundles of OC703 (bundle being 12 pieces of 2'x4'x2"), I know I spent over $100 for the hardware and fabric though.

GLS ES-57
Wonderful addition to the mic cabinet. Small spike at about 4.5 kHz, but that can be notched out. Great for snares, guitar cabs, and even vocals at times. $35

MXL 990
Again, great addition to the mic cabinet. Fairly clear and shimmery high end and decent low end for a condenser, considering I picked it up for $25 :D

My Ibanez SZ320, my Music Man (not Sterling ;) ) Sub4 bass was a little bit more expensive.
Besides that, the nylon-string guitar my gf's dad bought for a few bucks, I didn't buy it, but
he paid only 20-30€ for it.
It was left in a wet cellar for over 15 years afaik and it sounds pretty good and plays really
well.

Fabric was the biggest bitch actually. The red cedar frames were free and I think I spend less than $250 for 3 bundles of OC703 (bundle being 12 pieces of 2'x4'x2"), I know I spent over $100 for the hardware and fabric though.

I got super lucky with that. Bought a 40m roll of cloth in a big store, and the cashier was new. He scanned the code on the packaging and left it at that. But the code was for 1 meter... :Spin:

Holy shit you did get lucky. haha

My other problem with fabric was finding enough of the same color. I was in a hurry to finish so instead of ordering it like I should have, I now have 3 different colors of panels. But fuck it. :lol:

I laughed my ass off on the way home!

And maybe the colors are inspiring to clients? Just say you went for a Mondrian-esque vibe ;)