Cheap mic to record guitars

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
so, i'm in need for a cheap mic ($60) to record guitar amps. i don't care if its a dynamic or a condenser. any suggestions and samples?

Yep - save up a few more bucks and just go buy a new SM57. Worth it, and really not expensive at all.

I'm sad that I just discovered my 58 is fucked up and making crackling noises. I have no experience fixing mics. :(

Then keep saving. We're only talking about another $30-40 for a mic the best engineers in the world still use to this day.

$90-120 I need 3 ;) But yeah that's what I will probably do. I will borrow some mics for now and I will save to get some 58s when I have the money.

Why do you NEED 3 right now? Live recordings?

You could look into one of those drum mic kits THIS. I have one of those. Seems a bit expensive, but those damn mounts are like $75 for three of them and you get the large diaphragm kick mic as well.

Why do you NEED 3 right now? Live recordings?

You could look into one of those drum mic kits THIS. I have one of those. Seems a bit expensive, but those damn mounts are like $75 for three of them and you get the large diaphragm kick mic as well.

yeah, live recordings man. i have a drum mic kit. i need these for guitars.

Yep - save up a few more bucks and just go buy a new SM57. Worth it, and really not expensive at all.

I'm sad that I just discovered my 58 is fucked up and making crackling noises. I have no experience fixing mics. :(

Unscrew the cap and check the leads. Use a jewelers screwdriver and check the XLR leads. It may just be a cold solder joint.
Also, Shure has a $50 bench fee for dynamics but every time I've sent one back they've just sent me a brand new mic regardless of the age or condition of the mic I sent them. I've done this 10+ times.

Unscrew the cap and check the leads. Use a jewelers screwdriver and check the XLR leads. It may just be a cold solder joint.
Also, Shure has a $50 bench fee for dynamics but every time I've sent one back they've just sent me a brand new mic regardless of the age or condition of the mic I sent them. I've done this 10+ times.

I was unaware of this. Maybe I'll just send out all my Shures and get new ones. :D

Have a bad 57 as well. And, for some reason, XLR cables have been dying left and right, and virtually NEVER get used (at the practice space, that is).