Mic selection help?? please

bpcrshooter15

Nov 13, 2008
I've never done vocals before, but i'd like to record my vocalist now. I was planning on getting a SM57 as they seem to be standards. My vocalist does hard singing(hetfield-like iguess)/screaming a la Matt Heafy-Trivium.

What would be the best way to go for these vocals on a budget:
(let it be known im looking for suggestions, not an "answer", i don't have access to try all these out and such or money to buy multiple)

SM57, (i figure I can mic my amps with it too, which is a +)
SM58,
PG57/58 (is there a significant quality loss. $30-40 cheaper would help)
or a cheap condenser mic(suggestion?, i was looking at the MXL990)?

Well obviously the 57 would probably be the best investment. But, if you don't have a halfway decent preamp to drive it you might be better off with a cheaper condenser for doing vocals.

The PG series way sucks compared to the SM series. Not a big fan of the PG's.

I have used a 990 with (what I thought) were pretty decent results. For the price I think it's "allright".

oh, I neglected to mention i would be using a 1/4" input on a Toneport, and using the gearbox pre-amps (idk if this counts as halfway decent; im clueless as to mic preamps). Later I plan on upgrading, but right now I can't buy a mic and upgrade, so im looking to invest in a mic first.

...incase that changes things.

Eh, I gotta disagree with Force666, cheap condensers usually sound harsh and noisy, so when you compress the signal you can often get some piercing sibilants and the like. I'd say 57 with a pop filter!

Fuck the 57 for vocals. get an sm7, save up, it is a beautifull mic, sounds omfg great to. for heavy music. and loud loud vocals

2.5x as expensive (even when buying used) ain't nothin' to sneeze at dude, and there are some good condensers at that price range as well (namely the Studio Projects C1, although if the main use is aggressive male vox then I vote the SM7)

referring to your suggestion of the 990:

this is funny,because mxl puts a 'sdc' capsule in a different body and noone tells you, that you just have a sdc in a ldc boddy. :rolleyes:

nobody would try a sdc for singing, screaming in a metal context, right?!
but remember, there are no rules.

when you're on budget, a 58 is really cool, a re20 or sm7 might be a bit better, but there are so many cool vocal recordings with just a 58 - there's no prob with that mic - go for it!!

For the record, I didn't recommend the 990. The OP brought it up. I just happen to have used one on vocals before (and chose it for the source over the 58, 57 and i5 that I have).

To me when you use a 57 or 58 or any dynamic for that matter with a low-gain, low-quality preamp, you have to boost the noise floor so loud on the preamp to be able to do vocals.

Somehow I'm doubting that the 1/4" input on the gearbox would provide phantom power anyhows (but I could be wrong about that).

thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think im going with the 57 for the versatility with amp/vocals and the positive comments I've seen for what I'm wanting to do.

Anybody know about the answer to the question above ^^? about whether a 57 + Toneport/Software-preamp will work out?