Help choosing a new overhead Mic please?

If you're running a spaced pair then it doesn't matter if the mics are matched, or matters verrrrry little AFAIK. I'd go for the modified octava's if I were in your situation.

Can't go wrong with a matched set of Beyer MC930's. They are basically the poor mans KM84. Scarily close in some of the shootouts you can find around the net. They pick up more low end than your average SDC and capture a very smooth top end. I got mine for $750.

Just get a second 414 that's the same model as the one you already have. The difference in sound is really going to be negligible and I really doubt that anyone other than people like Bob Katz or George Massenberg will notice.

I am doing my overheads with a AT4047 + Neumann U87 or AT4047 + AKG C414 and it sounds great. Used KM184s before and they felt kinda flat to me on two different rooms - flat on a boring way. LDCs sound much better for what I like.

If you are looking for the C414 type thing, how about AKG C214's? They are basically stripped down versions of C414 with only cardioid pattern and no pad or highpass filter. The stereoset is ~685€ at Thomann (~$900)

Can't really agree with this; I've found the 214s to sound very different to the 414s. Worth spending the extra money for the 414s.

Ok, So I think I've narrowed it down to modding 2 of my Okatva's MC 012-01's and I just hooked a killer deal on a second AKG 414 B TLII for 500.00. So thats about 700.00 - 800.00 total price. Not to bad.

My fear in getting another 414 B TLII is the fact that they won't be matched (not sure that matters as much if doing split pair overheads) and I always used the 414 B ULS's in the past for overheads, hoping the TLII's won't be too bright and harsh. Whats the recommend capsule pattern for the mic in overhead mode, I've heard of people using figure 8 which I'm not sure I agree with... I always have used the Hypercardoid setting and 10db pad as well as a 75hz low pass...

Also I will be using my API 412 preamps for the overheads which are pretty hot to begin with even with the pad on.

Figured I'd bump since I think I'm about to do the same, except my budget is around $800-900...

Curious about the 214's v. Oktava Mod...

Also, anyone know much about the "Ultimate SDC Mod" that Joly's doing with the MXL 603?

I'm using NT5's currently- they do well but I'm ready to move up... The used MC390 deal doesn't sound bad at all...

I used M160 as crashes spot mic on last session I did and everything come up really good. Main OH was TLM170.

Im wondering this myself. Can someone who has actually had these mics tell me what the mics "downfalls" are. For the price they look great. Im looking for a great pair of mics for Drum Overheads and Acoustic Guitar. I do not want to out grow these. It's not that KM184s or 451b's are out of the question, I would just like to know its worth the difference in cost compared to say NT5's/AT4041's.

Too be honest the AT2035's look quite intriguing.

All insights are greatly appreciated.

A Question for Maamar Hug. In a another thread you said you found the nt5 harsh. Are you saying you prefer the MXL990 over the NT5s? Thanks for all your time.