Need help. Mic recomends.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Ok so my X mas budget from the parents is $100 same for the G-friend.

What mics are good for this range?? (I know good is mostly subjective to price 99% of the time)

I am looking for possible another mic for the cab (thinking the sennhieser e609)

And I would like a better mic for vocals is the SP B-1 any good?

Ok so my X mas budget from the parents is $100 same for the G-friend.

What mics are good for this range?? (I know good is mostly subjective to price 99% of the time)

I am looking for possible another mic for the cab (thinking the sennhieser e609)

And I would like a better mic for vocals is the SP B-1 any good?

i would stay away from the e609 silver. the all black 609 is great, but the silver isnt very good at all by almost all accounts. $100.00 mics for guitar cabs would be an i5, 57, there is a new audio technica atm650 i believe that i want to try out. and the spb1 is pretty sweet in my opinion. i like mine alot. it comes in hand quite often. check it out.

whats so different from the silver to black e609??

i was told the silver was better and thats the one i bought and it seems good to me but i have not a/b them both?

please fill me in I'm kinda interested now!!

i got a studio projects b1 actually 2 of them for drum overheads and vocals or whatever but a lot of people had good things to say but I'm really yet to put to some real good use yet!!

i was told the silver was better and thats the one i bought and it seems good to me but i have not a/b them both?

i got a studio projects b1 actually 2 of them for drum overheads and vocals or whatever but a lot of people had good things to say but I'm really yet to put to some real good use yet!!

i own both and have used them both alot. the black 609 sounds way more full to me. the silver in comparison sounds thin and brittle. check out the black one if you can for yourself. they aren't even really close to being the same mic. on the frequency response graphs that come with the mics, it shows the silver as having a huge boost in the 5000khz range, where on the black 609 there is no boost. the silver also rolls off the highs more than the black. also the black costs about twice as much. after getting the black 609, the silver was pretty much rendered useless. hope this helps a bit.

i own both and have used them both alot. the black 609 sounds way more full to me. the silver in comparison sounds thin and brittle. check out the black one if you can for yourself. they aren't even really close to being the same mic. on the frequency response graphs that come with the mics, it shows the silver as having a huge boost in the 5000khz range, where on the black 609 there is no boost. the silver also rolls off the highs more than the black. also the black costs about twice as much. after getting the black 609, the silver was pretty much rendered useless. hope this helps a bit.

I think the silver is ok and certainly useable, but agree it is very different from the black. I would probably go w/ the i5 or a 57 first. You can't really go wrong owning a ton of 57's.

So that a yay or gay for a the studio projects b-1?

The B-1 is an alright mic. I don't really like it for much more than vocals though. It can do acoustic guitar, clean stuff ok.

The e609 Silver is one of my favorite mics. I use it live all the time with great results. It seems to capture a pretty good representation of what your amp/speaker actually sounds like. So if you put your ear right up to the speaker, put the e609 there and it's gonna sound just about the same. I really like it for recording clean electric guitar.

Here's a quick recording. It's a mexi-strat straight into some cheapass Crate amp with the e609 Silver right on the grill. I also used the Studio Projects B-1 further back for ambience, but it's hardly mixed in at all.
http://www.myspace.com/mattberryjam

All of the distorted metal stuff I've done so far sucks. I don't really have any amp that's suited for killer metal riffage or I'd be recommending some stuff. All the metal bands that come in here have shit amps and use onboard distortion or the Metalzone. I'm working with a techmetal duo right now and the dude thinks he can get a killer tone out of a Flextone II and his stock Crate cab :puke: . I'm definitely getting some DI action so I can reamp this thing whenever I find someone that has a decent metal amp around here...

57 is the best bet in this price range if all you're micing is a guitar cab. If you've already got one, another is nice too or save up for something else.

grab a b1 an or that e609 like i said there both worth the money in my eyes and you wount feel like you wasted money!!

I think the e609 silver sounds great when mixed with sm57 and both are 100.00

I own two 57's and e609 silver. Can't go wrong with both of them. Why not just grab another 57 if you are worried about getting a 609? Two 57's on a speaker can yield some sweet sounds...

Welcome back. :headbang:

Egan, was it the silver or black you used on DD?

It was a 57 and a brand new silver. The angle I used the silver at (45deg.) probably tamed some of the highs everyone complains about. FWIW I think it was a newer 57 (made in mexico).

BTW, I was looking for you in LA!