cheapest dynamic vocal mic?

Dopebag_Rhino

New Metal Member
Jan 10, 2010
I've been reading thru a few threads here and keep reading that the sm58 is a good dynamic mic for vocal recording.
I have an sm57 but isnt that suited more for instruments? can an sm57 be used for (screaming) vocals as well?
If not, is there anything cheaper than a 58 that i could use that will give me a decent (not total crap) result?
Thanks in advance.

Lots of people have gotten good results using the SM58, or the SM57.
Some vocalist feel more comfortable holding an SM58 in hand, and singing/screaming the traditional (on-stage) way.

I will go ahead and tell you that 60% of your good results will come from a good performance, so practice recording with your SM57 if that's all you've got.

Another mic you may look into is the AT2035. It's a Large Diaphragm Condenser, and these are very popular for tracking vocals.
I just recently compared a cheapo MXL 990 (a $50 condenser) against my Shure BETA 58, and the winner was the MXL 990.
I just got a AT2035 for about $120 and couldn't be happier. It's a very good budget mic for recording vocals!

My next mic purchase will undoubtedly be the Shure SM7B. Look into all these, and see which one fits your needs (and your budget!).

Hope this helps!

Cheers, mate.

SM57 works great if you don't have other stuff.

The SM58 is basically a slightly revamped SM57.

Lots of people have gotten good results using the SM58, or the SM57.
Some vocalist feel more comfortable holding an SM58 in hand, and singing/screaming the traditional (on-stage) way.

I will go ahead and tell you that 60% of your good results will come from a good performance, so practice recording with your SM57 if that's all you've got.

Another mic you may look into is the AT2035. It's a Large Diaphragm Condenser, and these are very popular for tracking vocals.
I just recently compared a cheapo MXL 990 (a $50 condenser) against my Shure BETA 58, and the winner was the MXL 990.
I just got a AT2035 for about $120 and couldn't be happier. It's a very good budget mic for recording vocals!

My next mic purchase will undoubtedly be the Shure SM7B. Look into all these, and see which one fits your needs (and your budget!).

Hope this helps!

Cheers, mate.

Cool, thanks soooo much. I was worried that I'd hafta buy a different mic.

I actually prefer the 57 to the 58 on vocals. The 58 has far too much going on in the lower mid's imo and sounds quite muffled because of this. The 57 is quite alot clearer in my experience.

i think it depends on what your working on singing ya but the sm7b has been known to punch you in the face as far as screaming goes...but then again theres nothing wrong with using a ld condenser on screaming ether.. just depends i supposeeee