Which mic for metalcore vocals?

Jan [MTW]

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
Hey Guys,
I'll record the band of a friend of mine (which is the first band I record) in two weeks.
That's why I have to buy a vocal mic as soon as possible, which is good for screaming vocals. The singer wants to hold the mic in his hands while recording,
so i need a good handheld mic.
I already read some threads about that topic and heard of the Shure Sm57.
Is it the best in a price range -150€, for that kind of recording?

Are there any other things i have to pay attention when it comes to recording vocals with a handheld mic?

Advice is highly appreciated! :worship:

Edit: The singers vocal technique is simliar the FTFD one.
From what i've read I'm worrying about that the vocals will sound too airy and weak with the Sm57...

This has been covered several billion times, but hey. SM-57/58, or the Beta variants. Take your pick.

Any small diaphragm dynamic mic will do the job. If you had the budget I would suggest an SM7B (as would most others).

As for an SM57 sounding airy and weak... that depends largely on the vocalist. I'm not going to go into proper mic technique, he should know that already if he's serious.

Have fun.

Yeah, sorry for creating another thread for this. But I really want to be sure that I choose the right mic, because i want to get a good result for my first serious recording.
Why is the sm58 better? Would be nice if someone could explain the difference between them... :)

If you had the budget I would suggest an SM7B (as would most others).
Yeah the SM7B would be genius but it costs to much. :(

Yeah, sorry for creating another thread for this. But I really want to be sure that I choose the right mic, because i want to get a good result for my first serious recording.
Why is the sm58 better? Would be nice if someone could explain the difference between them... :)

Because it has an iron ball that acts as a windshield for extra pop filter protection.

Try to borrow a Sm7b microphone.

Don't know where i could borrow one in germany. The only thing i'd know is buying the mic at thomann.de and return it before the 30 day money back guarantee is over.
But I don't even know if thats possible/legal. :D

As for the sm58: If it's used handheld do I still need something like a pop-filter?
If yes, which one would get the job done?

I have a Sm7b and it's really great,but out of your budget. I haven't tracked vocals with a 58,but none of the videos I've watched had a pop-filter in front of it. IIRC Blythe used one while recording Sacrament

holding a sm58 and screaming into it...nana,
place it on a mic stand and a good popscreen in front of it! :)

Alright thanks a lot guys! Thats probably what I'll go for! :wave:

Edit: Can I remove the grip (ger.:Griff) from the sm58? Or is it fixed? And is this chain ok : sm58 - saffire pro 24 preamp - Pc? Or do i need an additional preamp between the saffire and the mic?