Good condenser mic for vocals

none a good dynamic is way better off than a cheap condenser.......

sick to an sm57 or 58 till you can afford somethiing a bit more expensive.....

your looking at about $500 AT4050 is right around that price dont cut yourself short and get somethign that is gonna be replaced as soon as you progress engineering and develop an ear ......... or just spend $350 and buy an sm7b and have a mic thats just as good as any condenser under 1000 imo with the right pre.... i just had one picked by the artist and almost everyone in the room over a sony 800g...$8000ish-sm7 $300ish useless info but very nice mic

none a good dynamic is way better off than a cheap condenser.......

sick to an sm57 or 58 till you can afford somethiing a bit more expensive.....

your looking at about $500 AT4050 is right around that price dont cut yourself short and get somethign that is gonna be replaced as soon as you progress engineering and develop an ear ......... or just spend $350 and buy an sm7b and have a mic thats just as good as any condenser under 1000 imo with the right pre.... i just had one picked by the artist and almost everyone in the room over a sony 800g...$8000ish-sm7 $300ish useless info but very nice mic

+12

I mixed records recorded with all kinds of cheap LDC's... Well... It all works, I would say :)

The Studio Projects stuff seems to sound good, but I compared to a Rode NT1A and the Rode just wins big time... But the NT1A comes without HP and without PAD - that *could* lead into problems [EDIT: Because the NT1A has a very hot output!] if you don't have a preamp with a PAD switch.

A very good workhorse is indeed the AT 4050 - it was my first LDC, I purchased 12 years ago or so... I used it for years exclusively for all vox, it is still my allround mic in all situations, in front of a cab, room mic for drums, on the HiHat, etc etc. For Vox I use a U89 today or an SM7B. But the 4050 is not that much behind, I would say from time to time it would even win - but when do we really have the time to compare a couple of mics for the singer?? And when you try to compare - he/she usually is still in the warming up phase. So if you record 3 takes via 3 Mics you have 3 completely different performances. At least when you have to deal with "non-pro singers".

Rode NT2A is the shit man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just check out the data paper of the diffenrent mics and compare them to the data of a good Neumann.
Check out frequenzies, signal to noise ratio, and characteristic and there you go;)

just check out the data paper of the diffenrent mics and compare them to the data of a good Neumann.
Check out frequenzies, signal to noise ratio, and characteristic and there you go;)

As far as I am concerned I couldn't care less about paper figures, that's certainly not how I would choose a mic.

Joe

Couldn't you get a used AT4050 for about $400 or less?

I haven't heard bad things about the C1, it is a lower end microphone but I am positive that you can get usable results from it.

If you are doing clean vocals and a baritone rock voice check out mxl v69. Just bought that and I have tried all kinds of mics including sm7 on my voice. MXl v69 is smooth, dark, and detailed for my voice. Love it!