Cheap power supply noise

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to have your opinion on how to explain the following behavior of a cheap power supply. Let me explain:

So, I've never had a pedal board before, but I was tired of going around to my band practice with my 3 pedals in a bag and my 3 boss adapters and my power bar, etc. (I only have a Boss Tuner, Ibanez TS9 and TC Electronics Sentry Gate, all going in the input of the amp).

So, I've purchased a small pedal board, and looking on Amazon, I found the Donner DP-1 Power Supply with 10 isolated outputs. It's got good reviews, and it's 5 times cheaper than a Voodoo power supply.

When using it on my practice amp, which is a solid state Peavey Vypyr 2, I don't hear any added noise due to the power supply.

However, on my ENGL Savage, my god! On channel 4 (highest gain stage), it's unbearable. As you go lower in gain stages, all the way to the clean channel, then the noise disapears. The funny thing is, I tried the following: Disconnected all my pedals from the Donner power Supply, disconnected the power supply completely, and reconnected all of them to the individual Boss adapters. The noise disapeared. I then left the pedals connected to the adapters, but reconnected the power supply to the outlet, it was making a shit ton of noise again! Meaning that just sending power to that DP-1 thing is enough to generate a lot of noise in my chain. I don't even need to connect it to my pedals!

So, my assumption is, and I wanted your opinion on this: the noise it generates is not "amplified" the same way in my Vypyr 2 as it is in my Savage. I don't quite know why, is it because "gain" in a Solid State amp is not "created" the same way it is with tubes? Or is it because the Savage is 100W (though I didn't need to crank the master volume for the noise to be quite intense)? Why does it behave differently on a solid state amp than on a tube amp?

I was just curious to understand. I'm returning the DP-1 tonight and I've already ordered some expansive, but reliable, power supply. So this post is really just for my personal understanding.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to have your opinion on how to explain the following behavior of a cheap power supply. Let me explain:

So, I've never had a pedal board before, but I was tired of going around to my band practice with my 3 pedals in a bag and my 3 boss adapters and my power bar, etc. (I only have a Boss Tuner, Ibanez TS9 and TC Electronics Sentry Gate, all going in the input of the amp).

So, I've purchased a small pedal board, and looking on Amazon, I found the Donner DP-1 Power Supply with 10 isolated outputs. It's got good reviews, and it's 5 times cheaper than a Voodoo power supply.

When using it on my practice amp, which is a solid state Peavey Vypyr 2, I don't hear any added noise due to the power supply.

However, on my ENGL Savage, my god! On channel 4 (highest gain stage), it's unbearable. As you go lower in gain stages, all the way to the clean channel, then the noise disapears. The funny thing is, I tried the following: Disconnected all my pedals from the Donner power Supply, disconnected the power supply completely, and reconnected all of them to the individual Boss adapters. The noise disapeared. I then left the pedals connected to the adapters, but reconnected the power supply to the outlet, it was making a shit ton of noise again! Meaning that just sending power to that DP-1 thing is enough to generate a lot of noise in my chain. I don't even need to connect it to my pedals!

So, my assumption is, and I wanted your opinion on this: the noise it generates is not "amplified" the same way in my Vypyr 2 as it is in my Savage. I don't quite know why, is it because "gain" in a Solid State amp is not "created" the same way it is with tubes? Or is it because the Savage is 100W (though I didn't need to crank the master volume for the noise to be quite intense)? Why does it behave differently on a solid state amp than on a tube amp?

I was just curious to understand. I'm returning the DP-1 tonight and I've already ordered some expansive, but reliable, power supply. So this post is really just for my personal understanding.
That TC noise gate is digital.I'm also pretty sure those Power Supplies aren't truly isolated.You can probably run all low draw analog pedals off of it,and use a separate supply for the higher draw digital pedal.