Cheaper monitors vs cheaper interface.

KarelKurjama

New Metal Member
Jan 9, 2011
Hey!

So I'm in a sort of a dilemma. Whether to use more money on an interface or on monitors.
My total budget is about 300 euros.
I have recorded and mixed a few song demos on my friends ux 1 and some shitty logitech 2.1 speakers. Now I would like to step it up a notch. I only need 1 input at the time and for guitar's I need to be able to do good reamps.

For the interface I have pretty much settled on a roland quad capture, witch is 177 euros.
So that leaves me with about 130 euros for monitors which I will probably choose m-audio's AV 40, which are really basic but better than the ones I have now.

Now my question is, will it be more useful if, bought a pair of ESI near08's for 210 euros and a cheap m-audio fast track. Will the fast track get the job done compared to the quad capture?

Any suggestions?

If I HAD to choose between the two options, I'd always spend more on the monitors, but for 300 euro's, monitors AND interface.... I don't imagine it's going to matter either way.

Any suggestions?

Well... my honest suggestion would be keep hold of your money, and save up a lot more. You're not going to be able to get your money back on any of the equipment you listed and you will definitely want better equipment in the long (and probably not all the long) run.

If you are certain you will never need more inputs, and you absolutely HAD to make an upgrade NOW, I would spend your money on a Saffire Pro 24, and mix on headphones while you save up for a decent set of monitors.

I'd recommend going for the Quad Capture and using your pc speakers in the meantime. AV40 won't be a rapid improvement and if you buy esi and fast track, you'll be soon upgrading both. On the other hand, Quad Capture will serve you for much longer (unless you will need more mic inputs). If you need some at least semipro quality mixing right now, invest into good headphones - they might serve you forever and your mixes might be even better than on AV40 or similar speakers.

By the way, UX1 is supposed to be quite good when it comes to the instrument input, I don't think upgrading to either Fast Track or even the Quad will be a HUGE difference. Not sure about its D/A, though.

Thanks for the answers! :)

I think I will be buying the quad capture and save up for some yamaha 08's or something.
Saffire pro really isn't an option because I use a lot of different computer's that don't have firewire and I don't know much about their usb interfaces.

I'll mix on my current speakers.
Also I am thinking about buying some fairly adequate headphones.
ATH-M50 are out of my price range, ATH-M40 are really cheap and are they really that bad?
I currently don't have any headphones so any cheap one will do I guess :D

Thanks again :)

If you are only going to use around 300, then go for like M-Audio Fat Track Pro as interface and Behringer B1030A for monitors, which totals to a hair over 300€ + shipping from Thomann, but double check that the price for the monitors is for a pair and not for a single speaker.

Have you actually used those monitors? From my experience, at least the 2030's and 2031's are... well, just plain bad.

Have you actually used those monitors? From my experience, at least the 2030's and 2031's are... well, just plain bad.

I have used the 2030's and Mackies (HR something) that they are clones of the 1030's. Not the best monitors in the world, but they get the job done. But the 300€ budget for both interface AND monitors is really restricting, since even the 2030's are 250€ per pair and at least I don't know any interface below 100€ that is even half decent. And the "are Behringer 2030/2031 monitors awful" is totally a preference and "learning the monitors" thing, since many many many mixes and platinum albums have been mixed with Yamaha NS10's, which are even more awful monitors than the 2030's. And at least many Tue Madsen and early Joey Sturgis production comes to mind that have been mixed on the 2030's. But I guess there is a reason why Joey switched to Adams :loco:

And the "are Behringer 2030/2031 monitors awful" is totally a preference and "learning the monitors" thing, since many many many mixes and platinum albums have been mixed with Yamaha NS10's, which are even more awful monitors than the 2030's. And at least many Tue Madsen and early Joey Sturgis production comes to mind that have been mixed on the 2030's. But I guess there is a reason why Joey switched to Adams :loco:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Just because you can get from point A to point B by crawling on all fours and a fork stuck in your eye doesn't mean it's a pleasant journey.

For what it's worth, if you're looking for really budget monitors, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a pair of Event ALP5's. They were my first monitors, and I think I paid 249€ for a new pair, so I'd guess you can find a used pair for very cheap. Not spectacular by any means, but at least they're somewhat honest.

Thanks!

I have learned that buying cheap monitors isn't really going to get me anywhere.
Also I found some really old 8" speakers from my dad's garage that sound a lot better than my current ones and I'll use those now :D
Maybe when summer comes, I'll get two nice mackie's or something.

Cheers!

get the ATH-M50 cans when you have the dough man. you'll be using those a lot, especially if you're using some 'really old 8" speakers from your dad's garage' as your monitors.

get the ATH-M50 cans when you have the dough man. you'll be using those a lot, especially if you're using some 'really old 8" speakers from your dad's garage' as your monitors.

+1
The ATH-M50s are great, fairly accurate, and less expensive than a decent set of monitors with room treatment.

ATH-M50s is better and cheaper than "cheap monitors", and you still are going to use it after you get some good monitors.

Okey, Roland quad capture and ATH-M50s it is!
Case closed!

Thanks a lot for all the answers :)
Cheers!

With that budget you're better off getting some decent headphones over monitors. Then again I'm also assuming that your room doesn't have the best treatment. Forgive me for making assumptions!

Okey, Roland quad capture and ATH-M50s it is!
Case closed!

Thanks a lot for all the answers :)
Cheers!

Was gonna suggest this after reading the first post. The headphones will last you years and you can trust them, plus acoustics of the room will not be a factor.