Cheapest Avid Interface? (To record into PT8)

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, I've been thinking about upgrading to Pro Tools 9 or 10 for a bit (solely because it allows me to actually record into the damn thing without an Avid interface), but I don't currently have the extra cash. I currently have Pro Tools 8 LE, with the little micro dongle thing. I record through a Line 6 UX2 (yeah, I know it's not the greatest), and currently have to record stuff into Ableton Live, then export it and import it in to Pro Tools, and it's a really much longer, more arduous process than it should be. So does anyone know what the cheapest Avid interface is for Pro Tools, one that would work with PT 8 LE? Ideally it would be able to record both vocals (and have phantom power, like UX2) and guitars. The weird thing is that as soon as a new PT version comes out, it seems like all the old versions and interfaces fall off the face of the earth... I was hoping that the new versions would drive down the price of the old versions but that doesn't appear to be the case at all...

I have an Mbox 2 that im selling that I used in PT8 for quite a while. PM me if your interested.

I think I might take you up on that. Does it have Phantom Power ( I have a condenser mic that needs it) and also, this may seem like a stupid question but the only interface I've owned is the UX2- how does it connect to the computer if not with a USB?

why not just upgrade to the standard avid mbox?

it has the amount of inputs you would need, plus phantom power if I'm not mistaken

on top of that, the pres & converters are much better than what they were in the mbox & mbox 2 family .... actually probably better than the 002 from what I've heard

why not just upgrade to the standard avid mbox?

it has the amount of inputs you would need, plus phantom power if I'm not mistaken

on top of that, the pres & converters are much better than what they were in the mbox & mbox 2 family .... actually probably better than the 002 from what I've heard

Well, how much is that? Also , the Mbox is better/ newer than Mbox 2? How does that work?

Thanks for the info man... however as I mentioned before I don't have the cash for a whole full upgrade yet- I'll do that sometime in the future. For now I'm happy with PT8, and if the Mbox 2 thing works as well as the LIne 6 UX2 that I currently have, I'd be happy with it. I saw them used on Amazon for about 200 bucks so that's not too bad. My only concern is that a few people have said that they had driver problems, like major ones, on PC for the Mbox 2.

So the Mbox 2 has 1 XLR and one guitar jack input, and hooks up through USB, correct? That would basically make it the same as a Toneport UX2, except PT compatible. Is the quality the same, or worse/ better than Toneport UX2? I wouldn't need anything else to record into PT 8 LE if I had the Mbox 2?

Also, does anyone reading this have experience using this on a PC? I've heard the Mbox 2 can have major driver issues on PC... I'm on Windows 7 x64

You don't have to do a whole big upgrade .. Just find someone selling the hardware unit by itself ... that's why I sent you the link to ebay listings. You can probably snag one for a couple hundred bucks

They're completely rock solid, both in their construction and performance, also on PC.

Not trying to talk you out of getting the mbox 2, just saying it wouldn't be that much more for something that would be a noticeable step up from that

Fwiw, I'm using the avid mbox pro for running pt 8 in my PC. It's never given me a single hiccup and is very versatile

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I'll just go with the Mbox 2 for now, and hope it works on PC... Then I'll trade that in later for the new one. I just need something relatively cheap right now that will make recording the final parts of my cd faster/ easier because the workflow I've got going on right now is ass backwards and terrible. It still baffles me that Avid was able to get away with locking out other interfaces besides their own for so long...