check out my attempt at dm vocals.

updog

hi guys,

i started making my own deathcore-type of stuff for fun and a few days ago i took a shot at the vocals for the shits. when i set everything up and tried screaming to the tune, something just clicked about it and it didn't hurt at all to do. i wanted to ask you guys if in reality it just sounds like shit. :lol:

don't mind the lyrics if you can make anything out, i just wrote pretty much random sentences in a few minutes to try this out. comments on the track and mix are also welcome(though it is a pretty quick mix)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2314572/voksut_testi.mp3

sounds pretty good. quite scooped, but good. i really think this needs to be in the rate my tone sub-forum though

highs are awesome. I don't know why but I can make myself sound like Phil Bozeman when doing lows but for some reason I STILL can't grasp highs. Your lows need some work but that just comes with practice.

Definitely keep it up, there are not enough decent vocalists our there

Btw your avatar makes lol everytime

highs sound awesome olli!
they sound pretty scooped and excited, mixwise tho.

Not bad. You have a great rasp but as others said your lows are a little weak. That might be due to level, though - try some automation to bring the lows up where needed.

I'm curious about the mixing though - the vocals sound heavily compressed and distorted, and I have a feeling that might be colouring things excessively. I'm not a huge fan of putting tons of effects on vocals even if it is all the rage, but I think a clearer sound would be more powerful and wouldn't sound quite as fake either.

As to comments about them being scooped, I'm not so sure - my own vocals tend to sound that way and just get muddy if I try to compensate with EQ. It's both a matter of your own natural voice and what technique you use.

thanks a lot guys!

Not bad. You have a great rasp but as others said your lows are a little weak. That might be due to level, though - try some automation to bring the lows up where needed.

I'm curious about the mixing though - the vocals sound heavily compressed and distorted, and I have a feeling that might be colouring things excessively. I'm not a huge fan of putting tons of effects on vocals even if it is all the rage, but I think a clearer sound would be more powerful and wouldn't sound quite as fake either.

As to comments about them being scooped, I'm not so sure - my own vocals tend to sound that way and just get muddy if I try to compensate with EQ. It's both a matter of your own natural voice and what technique you use.

yeah, i might have gone a bit overboard with mixing them, i'm used to doing that i guess - so far i've worked with some vocalists with a moderately low output volumewise, and that usually calls for more aggressive shaping. basically a 1176 sim all-in and a lot of presence and saturation from voxengo voxformer. the former i've always thought to be standard procedure with harsh vocals though.

glad you guys pointed this out, i'm going to try loosening the processing up a little.

i guess by fake you mean one of those more silent techniques... this one has a pretty decent output which is imo a good start, but i do need to work on the lows. i also can't do them like off the bat, i sort of need to search for the low tone everyday using the higher one, and trying to do the lows can also feel a bit uncomfortable at times. i try to avoid doing it when it doesn't feel good so i won't fuck up my voice or anything.

it's one thing i'm curious about btw; do you guys have different techniques for lows and for highs?

Jan [MTW];10205751 said:
Sounds awesome!
I'm jealous that I just don't get how to scream...:bah:

i don't know if it's of any help, but i came up with that sound while trying to imitate louis armstrong's singing voice and then removing the note from that voice. :lol: it can have everything to do with your voice though so i don't know if it works for anyone else

highs are awesome. I don't know why but I can make myself sound like Phil Bozeman when doing lows but for some reason I STILL can't grasp highs. Your lows need some work but that just comes with practice.

Definitely keep it up, there are not enough decent vocalists our there

Btw your avatar makes lol everytime

for me it's pretty much the same technique for lows and highs. that might be why in turn my lows are sort of weak. guess it would help to have separate techniques for both highs and lows

Back