check out my drum clip

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_drumclip.mp3

not very far from the raw tracks, i added a tiny bit of compression, and a little bit of eq (added a bit of low to the kick, some high/mids to the snare, and rolled off some lows on the overheards) and some verb to the snare...not a complete drum mix or anything near

the china cymbal section will be redone, cuz it is driving me nuts, my drummer has his china on a spring like device which keeps it from cracking it (he's bad on chinas) but in those rare parts where he rides the china it gives the undesired effect you hear

any/all comments, critique, or questions are welcome

sounds ok, that snare is still an issue though. How hard are you (or whoever's playing) hitting it? it sounds pretty soft. THe snare still sounds alittle dry as well, although i did notice the slight verb on it. I would add a little top end to the toms and more lows to the kick.

my drummer is the one behind the kit, i just sit in the control room and tell him he's off time :)

i agree, the snare hits (and the toms in some spots) could have some more balls behind them

there was no eq on the toms either, except for a few little things that bugged me i wanted to get opinions on the kit with a pretty raw sound...hopefully i'll be sending it off for someone else to mix anyhow

I hear more player issues than I do production ones. The double bass work sounds kinda funny. You can really hear the strong vs. weak legs, if you know what I mean. Either that or he has 2 kicks? I think the toms sounds pretty good for no EQ. Maybe need a bit more attack.

yeah, we're using a single bass drum with a double kick pedal...i've got the d6 pointed right between where the two beaters hit, i tried putting it slightly more toward the left/weaker beater but that just made the two of them sound too different

it's hard to tell with some comments (which i don't take offensively by any means) if you guys are pointing out things that could be fixed with a more proper mix (which isn't a huge deal) or if they're inherent issues with the recording [which isn't so easy to fix, but any suggestions are welcome]

Uneven bass drum hits can be fixed with some programs we all know about, or some compression. I personally don't think the tones are bad at all, but I'm in your boat, I'm an amateur. My standards probably aren't as high as some of the others on here. The stuff that I can say I don't dig comes down to the player, to be honest.

Thedeloshimself said:
toms sound awesome for pretty close to raw, howd you do em?

toms 1,2, and 4: sennheiser e604
tom 3: audix i5

all about 1-2" from the outer rim, 2" above the head, pointed right about dead center

tracked with a presonus firepod

nwright said:
Uneven bass drum hits can be fixed with some programs we all know about, or some compression. I personally don't think the tones are bad at all, but I'm in your boat, I'm an amateur. My standards probably aren't as high as some of the others on here. The stuff that I can say I don't dig comes down to the player, to be honest.

i think it's helpful to hear opinions from both kinda people...guys who have a ton of experience, and are usually able to get good recordings without a lot of fuss...and guys who are similar to me, and still trying hard to get there

fingers crossed...if my recordings keep improving at nearly the rate they have the last year or so, i'll be pretty happy in a few more years

Sounds to me like you did a very good job with mic placement and capturing the kit. If anything stands out it's that the drummer doesn't SEEM to be hitting hard. I don't know if thats because he wasn't or if i'm just use to hearing drums with shitloads of EQ/comp/samples.
It defiantely sounds workable, tone wise.