another drum clip (w/cobra @ low volume)

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_cobramisery.mp3

finally finishing up drum tracks, and starting to dick around with guitar recording again

did this real quick tonite, used the cobra crunch (left) and notched lead (right) channels, just above bedroom volume thru the splawn 2x12...audix i5 on the hellatone 60L

i'd really like opinions on the drum sound, but you're welcome to comment on the guitar tone as well (it sounds distant, weak, and fizzy to me...for some reason the i5 sounds great when paired with my 57 but i never like it on it's own...the amp being so low didn't help)

there are still a few things that bug me about the drums...i'm having trouble getting a good strong kick sound, that doesn't overpower everything else, and the snare kinda tends to get buried in the mix; any suggestions on where i should go to remedy that would be much appreciated

the snare is just a bit of eq, verb, and compression

the kick has the eq boosted a bit @ 65hz, then i've got a multiband comp which is compressing from 70hz up (i think i need to bump that up to 80 or so tho)

any/all comments, criticism, and insults within reason are welcome

i also wanna add that i'm REALLY loving this splawn cab, i played it with the cobra for the first time tonite and i was blown away...the guitars you hear really do no justice to how it sounds in the room (given i had to turn it way down, and didn't spend much time on it)

if i can get a recorded tone that's half as good as what i'm hearing live, i'll be in good shape...i think this is definitely my favorite cab i've owned (possibly taking over the spot long held by my splawn 4x12 :headbang: )

Sounds like a very usable drum sound dude. The kick sounds a bit out of place, i'd say because you've EQ'd it more than the other drums. The toms definately need some scooping and brightening, and should come out quite good. The over heads could use a bit more volume in the mix. The snare might just need some more compression.
All in all, i think if you just work on getting the kick to sound less out of place, and do the obvious EQ and compression to the rest you'll be sitting with a pretty hot drum sound.
Will this be your bands EP/album?

thanks for listening

i actually used very little eq on the kick (a 3.5 db boost @ 65, nothing more) just compressed the hell out of it (maybe i overdid it there?)

i'll try more compression on the snare, actually a good bit of the snare you're hearing is from the overheads...some cymbals are brighter than others and really come thru where others don't, maybe i should try to locate and cut some of the frequencies of those brighter/stronger ones so i can bring the overhead tracks up a bit more?

we're just recording a two song deal for now; songs to promote on the web, and get out to some venues and small lables...but will be using the same setup and gear to record a full length hopefully next year

Sounds good man, usable IMO for sure. Only thing bothering me is the kicks as the others said, and the toms seem a bit dark sounding. Other than that great...! wish I had the capabilities to record real drums right now!

-Joe

He mixed the drums in higher because that's what he wants our opinions on.

+1

i just started on the drum mix, and this is my first time with mixing a full properly recorded kit like this...the guitars were really just there to let everyone hear what's going on with the tune, and give some idea how the drums would mix with other instruments

essentially it is an unmixed demo to a degree

i still appreciate everyones' input tho :kickass: