cobra + 5150 + mark III clip (w/drums & bass)

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
spent a few hours down in the studio today, trying to clear my head from all the crap going on...a bit more of a productive day than i had earlier this week

i'm still tweaking things but here's what i came up with

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_miseryscratch.mp3
details:

left channel: mark III lead channel w/gain @ 4!

center: cobra crunch channel w/gain at 2:00, little bit of room ver added

right channel: 5150 rhythm channel w/gain @ 6.5, crunch and bright switches on, high gain input

guitar used as my ec300 w/duncan JB in the bridge, cab was my splawn 2x12 with hellatones, sm57 + e609 mixed 50/50 on all tracks

bass: behringer bass v-amp pro (excuse the horrid playing, i had a missing D string, and i'm not a terribly good bass player to begin with

i should've brought the kick drum down a bit, i've got it turned up high for tracking because it helps me stay locked in time...usually

Yeah turn the kickdrums down. There's also something about the click in them that's a bit uncomfortable to listen to. They could also use some more lowend.
I'm not abig fan of the guitar sound either. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just taste.
Sorry for being so negative:)

any comments are welcome, i always wanna know what people are hearing....so nothing to be sorry for

anything specific you're not digging about the guitars, or just not your kinda tone altogether?

I liked the guitar sound. Wish I had those amps! I do own a Mesa F50 though. The gain channel sounds kinda similar to the mark III. I own the two mics you used. I usually use them for my guitar recordings to but with one of them 9dbs lower than the other. How'd you mic the cab? Also do you have an MXL 990? I thought I read it somewhere where you said you did. How do you like it for miking distorted guitars? I've been trying it out and I think its pretty cool.

sounds better than last time. i would say the guitars lack some low end growl, you could probably fix that with a proper overdriven bass track. i agree about the kicks being uncomfortable to listen to.

mike, that's some cool stuff... :kickass:

the kit is pretty loud and especially the kick

my preference but the the kit is too dry

guitars took a step in the right direction

I liked the guitar sound. Wish I had those amps! I do own a Mesa F50 though. The gain channel sounds kinda similar to the mark III. I own the two mics you used. I usually use them for my guitar recordings to but with one of them 9dbs lower than the other. How'd you mic the cab? Also do you have an MXL 990? I thought I read it somewhere where you said you did. How do you like it for miking distorted guitars? I've been trying it out and I think its pretty cool.

i did quite a bit of research on the amps i've got, and i'm quite satisfied with my choices :) the f series and marks do have a similar voicing, i think having a graphic eq would be an awesome addition to those! both mics are right where the dustcap meets the speaker cone, on the same speaker...i do have a 990, i've not messed around with it a whole lot really; it blends very nicely with a 57 for recording lead stuff, it kinda breathes in a way that my other mics don't (like any condenser would) great mic for the money

mike, that's some cool stuff... :kickass:

the kit is pretty loud and especially the kick

my preference but the the kit is too dry

guitars took a step in the right direction

thanks...i'll bring the kick level down, next time i post something; doing a drum mixdown is KILLING my processor, so i can only listen to about 5 seconds of the drum tracks before my pc starts bogging down; that little bit of verb i'm using on the snare, toms, and overheads is slowing it down a lot

then it takes about 6 minutes for me to mix that down to a single .wav file, so i don't update the drum mix till i have a nice list of things to do...which currently include easing up on the kick drum compression (which will drop the level a bit) and adding a bit more low end there, mixing the bottom snare sample higher for a bit more crack and adding a just a hair more verb, and cutting the mids and boosting the highs on the toms just a little

i'm definitely feeling better about the guitar sound, i still wish it was a bit more crunchy/less fizzy...i think it sounds great for open ringing stuff like that part after the synth bit, but for chuggy muted stuff it can be a wall of fizz sometimes...i'm gonna experiment with an emg81, and also my maxon od808 sunday

do you remember what plugin you used on our bass before?

Yeah, kit is way too loud/dry.

I'd try to keep the tones more consistent when they come in bursts towards the beginning.

Drummer could use some help with timing during certain parts, but otherwise it's pretty god sounding!

I'd try to keep the tones more consistent when they come in bursts towards the beginning.

Drummer could use some help with timing during certain parts, but otherwise it's pretty god sounding!

that was just sloppy playing on my part, i hit a few notes kinda early...so i cut off the beginning and did a quick fade in trying to mask it; the final take won't have that problem :)

one of these days, he'll finally learn to practice with click tracks BEFORE time to record :mad:

I just think the guitars are a bit grainy, but after listeniong to them again I like them more though. Don't get me wrong man. I do like it:)
It's just not a sound I would go for.

I'm pretty sure it's PSP Mix Bass. I usually mix it 30-Dry 70-MixBass

thanks, i'm definitely gonna look into that

I just think the guitars are a bit grainy, but after listeniong to them again I like them more though. Don't get me wrong man. I do like it:)
It's just not a sound I would go for.

i think they're a bit fizzy myself honestly, when i go back down to the studio i'm gonna mess with some different guitars, pickups, my boost pedal, and the gain levels to see if i can't clear that up a bit