framus cobra + mesa mark III clip (w/toneport on bass)

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
finished version of my last clip (well...if i can get dfh to quit acting up i'll redo the overheads) but as for recording, this is as much as i'm doing with this tune

a few clams, overall i think it turned out decent...i'm really working on the guitar and bass tones more than anything, tho i always try to keep the drums and overall mix sounding ok

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_inertia.mp3

details:

the whole thing is quad tracked...

-left channel is the cobra (lead channel) 1 track boosted (od808) 1 track right in
-cab was my boogie halfback 2x12 with mc90's...bottom (closed) portion
-mic was the good ole senny 609
-preamp was toneport ux1 (vintage UK model)
-guitar was gutierrez juggernaut (JB bridge pickup)
-panned 60r & 80r (the boosted being 60r)

-the right channel is the mark III straight in for both tracks
-mic was 609 again
-cab was mesa halfback
-toneport ux1 preamp again
-guitar was my ltd mv300 (emg 81 bridge)
-panned 60l & 80l

-bass was done with the toneport; ampeg classic model w/matching cab
-bass used ibanez sr800 with emg p/j set

-both clean tracks were toneport; fender princeton and bassman models
-one clean track was my ec300 with anderson h1 neck pickup (the dirty sounding princeton track)
-other clean track was my old tele on the neck picku (the cleaner sounding bassman track)

drums are samples combined with DFH2 (sorry for the obnoxious hi hat)

Actually the hi-hat isn't so bad. I'd say bring up the drums up more as they sound buried and the guitars have a little much going on in the 4-6k area it seems. Cool song, though!

yeah I agree on how the guitars should have both amps on each side. The left(cobra) side sticks out more than the mark 3. I think the amps would work well panned together. I really like kick. That's the type of kick i'm trying to get. Could you give me details on that? Also, how much did you get the mark 3 amp for? From the clips i've heard, I like the mark series amps.

thanks for the input guys

the high hat to me just sounds too loud, compared to the other cymbals which are buried

i'll try panning the guitars like that, this is my first shot at using 4 tracks so i kinda did it the way i normally would with two

you can find those kick/snare samples i used here (they actually came from someone on the board here): http://disvisioned.net/clips/tonepatches

i paid $700 shipped for my mark III (blue stripe combo, fully loaded, with evm 200 speaker, and roadcase) but i got a hell of a deal...the mark III heads have been going for $700-800, and a little more for the combo (they use the exact same chassis tho) the last combo i saw that was the exact model i have and as clean as mine sold on e bay for just under $1200

haha looks like I already have that kick. Forgot all about it. It has that really deep sound to it that I like.

i did a mix panned like you guys said...

it makes things a little more full, and it balances out better...it's lacking in the clarity/separation dept. compared to this mix tho, which really bugs me

i may post the new mix in the morning