Choosing Death: The Improbably History of Death Metal and Grincore (Albert Mudrain)

Powers

Good Morning USA!
Nov 7, 2005
Sunderland, U.K.
www.rackaforum.com
choosing_death.jpg

I ordered this book off Amazon a week or so ago now.

Synopsis
In 1986, it was unimaginable that death metal and grindcore would ever impact popular culture. Yet this shockingly fast and barbaric amalgam of hardcore punk and heavy metal would define the musical threshold of extremity for years to come. Initially circulated through an underground tape-trading network by scraggly, angry young boys, death metal and grindcore spread faster than a plague of undead zombies as bands rose from every corner of the globe. By 1992, the genre's first legitimate label, Earache Records, had sold well over a million death metal and grindcore albums in the United States alone. Choosing Death, featuring an introduction by John Peel, conquers the lofty task of telling the two-decade-long history of this underground art form through the eyes and ringing ears of the artists, producers, and label owners - past and present - who propelled the movements. The book covers the scene in every dark detail, from its late '70s beginnings in the UK's anarcho-punk scene, to the early 80s American version that featured unplayable - and to some, unlistenable - riffs, to legendary groups like Napalm Death and Godflesh, to the genre's alleged death and resurrection in the late 1990s.

The Author Albert Mudrain is Editor and Cheif of Decibel Magazine and worked as an editor for Red Flag Media's music publications.

I can't get Decibel in the UK but i read Mudrains interviews and reviews when ever possible on the website. I really like the way he writes and i quite fancy becoming a music journalist myself so reading stuff that other people have written is a massive help.

It hasn't arrived yet but has anyone read it or got it? What's your thoughts?

I got it a couple months ago! It's alright. It talks about a lot great bands but in the beginning it was spending a lot of time on napalm death, who I never got into so I stopped reading it. I'll pick it up again but will probably just read the chapters that interest me more.

i have this....some good stuff! some bands are left out of the earlier death metal scene, but a good read for any metal head

I haven't read that one yet OR "Lords of Choas" which I've heard is great, but I recently finished "Sound of the Beast" by Ian Christe. Really good overview of heavy metal in general, but maybe not enough emphasis on death metal for my tastes. I will have to check out this one now!

Also, I found this: Death Metal Music: The Passion and Politics of a Subculture Looks like a sociological study of death metal. could be pretty cool.

Lords of Chaos is a fun read. Seems much more interesting than this book to me. It deals much more with the insane antics of the black metal scene rather than just the musical history of it (although it covers that too). It's not the most coherent book ever though. But fun.

Powers said:
"The pen is mightier than the sword."

Did u say...PENIS MIGHTIER...!!!! ........well Trebeck ure sittin on a gold mine......!!!.....hahaha......i lvoe SNL celebrity jeopardy......i sish they still do it...!!!....PEAC EOUT

waz416c said:
Did u say...PENIS MIGHTIER...!!!! ........well Trebeck ure sittin on a gold mine......!!!.....hahaha......i lvoe SNL celebrity jeopardy......i sish they still do it...!!!....PEAC EOUT

*Adopts Cockney Accent*

"Ah Waz, what are you like!"

This book isn't that great. It talks about Napalm Death to no end. It focuses on a handful of bands. Big emphasis on grindcore, so unless you're pretty into that, big parts of the book are going to bore you. Lords of Chaos is a much better read.

I have this book and I enjoyed reading it. I mean, a lot of the information in there can probably be found on the internet, but to have it compiled into one condensed book is kind of nice. There a few factual inaccuracies that I noticed while reading it but nothing to major and overall it was a good read. I would like to read Lords of Chaos also. That looks like it could be really interesting.

I've been reading Choosing Death recently; I like it, but haven't got terribly far into it....

Lords of Chaos is cool in parts, but way too much boring shit on Nordic archetypes and such like. Also, too conciliatory to Nazi fuckbags.

I really liked Sound of the Beast....

MasterOLightning said:
This book isn't that great. It talks about Napalm Death to no end. It focuses on a handful of bands. Big emphasis on grindcore, so unless you're pretty into that, big parts of the book are going to bore you. Lords of Chaos is a much better read.

Mudrain seems to consider Napalm Death to be the first Grincore/Death Metal band so it makes sense he talks about them a lot. So long as there's a fair amount of stuff on the latter Florida scene i should be pretty interested in it.
And come on, it mentions Extreme Noize Terror, this book knows it's stuff.

I was interested by Lords of Chaos, althought there can't be that much in the book that i haven't already made the effort to look into myself. Still seeing things written from another's perspective is usually informative.

I could have got The Passion and Politics of a Subculture as part of a deal with Choosing Death. But the front looked kind of shitty so i didn't bother. So much for not judging a book by it's cover.

I'm glad this thread was posted. I was considering purchasing this book because I thought it focused more on the genre itself in terms of cult followings, metal being accused of crimes, impressionability on minds, etc. If I want to read about Naplm Death I'll find their bio online.