Choosing the best speaker?

That's really difficult to say!

When I record a cab that I'm not used to, I often don't here much differences between the speakers. It took me years to find my favourite speaker in my Cab...

Generally I make it in such a way:

At first I judge it by ear, then I try the "chosen one" with a mic and record some riffs. I always double track them, to have a better impression how it sounds when everything is recorded. In most cases I keep the chosen speaker and only adjust the mic position.

easy , setup 4 57s on the spots u want them ( and on all 4 cones ) , and pull up the faders one by one to judge the tone

viola

it's really easy to tell which speakers to NOT use like this

A Toolish Circle said:
easy , setup 4 57s on the spots u want them ( and on all 4 cones ) , and pull up the faders one by one to judge the tone

viola

it's really easy to tell which speakers to NOT use like this

I tried something like that too, but somehow it didn't work for me. Maybe the speakers I worked with didn't have so much differences...?:danceboy:

Sorry to say it but you have to just stick your head in there and figure it out (I think I used that line in high school). Yes it sucks. The problem w/ the 4x57 technique is you are hearing subltle differences in the mics/pre/placement not just the speakers.
I'm sure someone will flame me for this advice.

The problem is ´cause of the fact that is so close micing any tiny placement diferences will result in diferent sounds, that said, no matter if you use your ears or some mikes, or even one, you´ll problably never hit the same spot in all speakers. So, if the diference is subtle is there a right way to choose a speaker? Or the diference will be so drastic that will be easy to figure it out?

I don´t have a cab or anything, so I never had the chance to spend some time with it, so anyone have some more ideas?

I'd go for the 4 57's or the A/B'ing. I used to stick my ears on speakers some time ago, but I noticed that microphones can sound pretty different to what you hear straight from the cone, so I started thinking that technique was kind of deceiving, also bad to the health. :)

Try using a ruler to help you achieving the most similar position on all the cones.

GUYS DONT PUT YOUR EAR NEXT TO A SPEAKER CONE.....BAD BAD BAD

BAD....

B-A-D.

think about how much you love recording..... then imagin not being able to do it properly anymore.... thats what you are toying with... even at low levels it's a REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

spend some time checking the cones with mics....

I have a mate with really bad tinitus (or however you spell it) he is not a happy bunny

C

carl@laruso.com said:
GUYS DONT PUT YOUR EAR NEXT TO A SPEAKER CONE.....BAD BAD BAD

BAD....

B-A-D.

think about how much you love recording..... then imagin not being able to do it properly anymore.... thats what you are toying with... even at low levels it's a REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

spend some time checking the cones with mics....
FWIW I think you're imagining getting closer than you need to...I can do this from a foot or 2 away.
I'm as dillignent about earplugs and hearing as anyone I know but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that listen to the actual source of the sound is a mistake. Especially when you factor in that we are talking about 60 seconds tops.
People seem to be super cautious b/c it's a guitar amp but most of us have found ourselves on trains/planes or at sporting events that exceed 115dB for hours w/o thinking ....not to metion ipods and concerts.
If listeing to mics alone works for anyone personally then more power to them, but their is nothing fundamentally BAD about listening to a cab to sus it out.