mic shootout - i5/sm57/shinyboxribbon

Carrier Flux

Jun 14, 2005
Alright I did a little test recording here between three mics so I thought I'd share. none of these takes sounds that great to me so far, but I think a mixture of two of the mics will help.

Each mic had it's own place on the cab, all micing the same speaker. I found the best placement I could for each mic, so this test doesn't show exactly how they will sound from the same spot on the speaker or anything. very unscientific, I know.

Mics: Audix i5 Dynamic. Shure SM57 Dynamic. Shinybox 46 Ribbon.

chain:

Ibanez S540 with EMG 85 in bridge > mesa rectifier recording pre > Presonus EQ3B > mesa 20/20 poweramp > Bogner 1x12 with an Eminence Governor speaker > above listed mics > FMR Really Nice Preamp > TC Electonics M-One (for A/D conversion).

The clip has all three mics in a different order than I have listed here, in case anyone would like to guess ;)

http://www.carrierflux.com/carrier_flux-mic_shootout.mp3

KeithRT99 said:
either the 57 or the ribbon are the best. the i5 sounds small. the ribbon sounds the biggest, and the 57 has the best all around bite.
ok so which are which? ;)

KeithRT99 said:
did you mix them up or something? i was under the impression that it went i5/57/ribbon

"The clip has all three mics in a different order than I have listed here, in case anyone would like to guess "

alright the order was:

sm57, audix i5, shinybox 46 ribbon.

the really nice thing about the ribbon mic is that it's more forgiving than the other two once you get it where it likes to be (about 6-10" back off the grille).. it's also not as easy to get in up against the grille and be specific about what you're picking up like an sm57 is...but it's damn nice if you're doing a demo or something, and you want to get a decent recording right off the bat. I tend to spend two or three hours placing my 57 as opposed to twenty mins placing the ribbon mic.

Hmm, the ribbon sounded better then I expected but I think I like the i5 most. It bet one could combine them in interesting ways.

DSS3 said:
Dude I am really digging that 2x10 clip! That is so badass! It's so raunchy and raw, but still defined and beefy.
thanks man :D yeah I like the sound of that clip but generally those speakers sound a bit thin. I wish I knew what I did to make them sound like that..hahaha.

here's a clip I made today. this one includes EQ and andy's C4 setting.

on this clip I'm using a bogner 1x12 with Eminence The Governor and an sm57, mixed with a homemade 2x12 micing some Celestion (can't remember which one) using the shinybox ribbon mic. 4 tracks total, two of each speaker.

the shinybox almost has TOO much low end beef. it might be a problem in mixing..*shrug*.

http://www.carrierflux.com/57governor-shinyboxCelestion.mp3