Audix i5 vs. Shure SM57 vs. Sennheiser MD421 vs. Sennheiser e609

Jan 10, 2005
So, I have been hearing a lot about the i5 lately. Haven't had the chance to use it. But what I do use on a daily basis is the SM57, MD421, and e609 to mic up guitar cabs, depending on the music and the gear. Typically I start with the SM57, and then if it's just not working for everything, I'll move to the e609 which, in my opinion, is just a smoother SM57. Then I'll go for the MD421. And if all else fails, I begin blending them together or just using a TLM127, again depending on the music and gear being used.

I was curious about how the Audix's i5 dynamic stacked up to these "idustry standard" guitar mics. What can it be compared to the closest? Could anyone post clips of the SM57 and then an i5 doing the same riff on the same gear? With as little eq'ing as possible or none at all? :)

~006

I've not used an MD421 yet, nor a RE20, nor an R121 or R122 Royer. (note they go up in price as I listed them).

I have used old glory (57) an e609 (hated that thing!) of course the i5.

Some people complain that the i5 is "too beefy" sounding and that its hard to fit into a mix. I disagree with this, and probably chalk it up to the fact that those guys are probably so used to how a 57 sounds.

Yes, the i5 is "beefier" sounding, and to smei-geek, it has a more pronounced proximity effect. BUT, I think this is a good thing, and the high end is not as shrill or midfucky as the 57 - to me, and imo.

Of course, anyone who would possibly knock a 57 would be somewhat out of their mind since that damn thing has been in use for 40+ years and shows no signs of slowing down. It's a go to standard. For high gain chunkfest metal guitars, I really do think the i5 is better suited, imo.

I think you owe it to yourself to snag an i5. I got mine on eBay new for $69 when some dealer was blowin' out overstock - had to jump on it, and I'm very glad I did. I did a bunch of A/B/C with the i5, 57, and e609, and the i5 was the clear winner.

I have a pair of e609 silvers..... They're a strange beast. They can be really cool when mixed in with a 57 on a rectifier, but I honestly believe they sound like total shit on a 5150.

The i5, on the other hand, has really become my 'go to' mic for metal guitars. Smoother top, and a more manageable bottom than a 57. I want 12 more of them :)

EtherForBreakfast said:
I think you owe it to yourself to snag an i5. I got mine on eBay new for $69 when some dealer was blowin' out overstock - had to jump on it, and I'm very glad I did. I did a bunch of A/B/C with the i5, 57, and e609, and the i5 was the clear winner.

Do you have comparison clips you could share?

I'm trying to get a decnt setup to make some clips of my stuff.