Salvation 13

Burp.
Feb 9, 2006
Tampere, Finland
I just got some money, so I thought I could get one of these:

Sennheiser e609
Audix i5
Sennheiser md441 off ebay

I already have sm57's, a md421 and a Rode NT1A. Which one of these would be the most useful one to complete my collection? (Or recommend something better in that price range).

in my experience the i5 is close to the 57 only when the 57 is sufficiently loaded

I generally use these

57 w/o transformer
i5
e609s
md421

On the other hand, the 441 is a really cool piece of mic. Maybe not for a metal stuff but for more rockish sounds, it can do wonders not only on guitars but also snares, toms, vocals, brass instruments, percussions...

I'd say yes but that's a matter of taste in the first place. I also like LDC's for clean sounds.

More refined (read less obvious character) and versatile. That's all I can say really.

if you can get your hands on the e609 black(not the silver) go for it. its a great mic for sure, definetly darker than the 57 or i5. the i5 would be a great choice also because its great on drums as well(snares, toms). either way you are gonna want both of those mics eventually so.....

Keiffer said:
in my experience the i5 is close to the 57 only when the 57 is sufficiently loaded

I generally use these

57 w/o transformer
i5
e609s
md421

Could you provide a little bit of detail between the two 57s you mentioned? Tone differences and what you did to them? Thanks!

Ice Man,

Follow this link and look for 57 with - 57 w/o - i5

the clip is a 57 with and w/o the transformer and an i5... but the 57 is not with my load cable. the 57 seems to like about 680ohms. so I have a cable that brings it much closer to that since my preamps are about 1500. the nice thing about the load cable is I can use it or not depending on if I like what the 57's giving me. I only use the load cable on the 57 with the transformer. it does make a very positive difference.

kp-

Keiffer said:
Ice Man,

Follow this link and look for 57 with - 57 w/o - i5

the clip is a 57 with and w/o the transformer and an i5... but the 57 is not with my load cable. the 57 seems to like about 680ohms. so I have a cable that brings it much closer to that since my preamps are about 1500. the nice thing about the load cable is I can use it or not depending on if I like what the 57's giving me. I only use the load cable on the 57 with the transformer. it does make a very positive difference.

kp-

Can you explain a bit more about the load cable? ... I've already heard of the 57's w/o transformer mod, but I don't feel like tearing apart my 57 :erk: ... the cable thingie sounds interesting ...

the load cable is nothing more than a short mic cable with one resistor per signal (two resistors total) to ground. the resistors are matched. I don't recall the actual values but probably selected for a total ~680 assuming the preamp is 1500. the resistors live in one end of the cable's Neutrik connector.