Single Mic Preamp

RemoWilliams

¯\(°_o)/¯ How meet Devil?
Nov 13, 2005
I backtracked with the search function to see if I've probably missed some talk on single mic preamps, but I don't believe I have. So I asks ya, does anyone have any suggestions for single mic preamps? I just need one for now so I can experment more with mic-ing up a cab. My price rangs is from $100-$200(let me know if this is impractical, or if using a single microphone preamp is impractical). Oh yeah, mics used with an Audix i5 and a Sennheiser 421. I apologize if this has been covered in a previous thread. :headbang:

Check out ART stuff. Or i think PreSonus makes something with one mic pre in it in the price range you are in. I can get you links in a few minutes.

~006

Seizure. said:
i think i'm gonna buy myself a Focusrite trakmaster or twintrak.. anybody have any experience with these? how are they?

Yes. it sucks.

006. said:
Check out ART stuff. Or i think PreSonus makes something with one mic pre in it in the price range you are in. I can get you links in a few minutes.

Art sucks too.

Presonus I've heard are decent.

I'd recommend the RNP for that kind of price range.

Gomez

Haven't heard Art, but the trakmaster definitely sucks. You might as well buy the cheapest Behringer pre. Quality-wise, basically the same. I think the RNP is a bit out of your price range, but it's a good pre for the money. I'd also suggest the M-audio DMP3. Even though it's two channels, it fits into your price range and is very decent sounding. And having two channels is better than one :D ...

I recommend a DMP-3 as well. Probably the best in that price range even with two channels. It's a really clean pre. Someone suggested the RNP, You're talking about 500 bucks there.

martyfireball said:
IMHO, if your resonably new to this game, get a cheap behringer, practice, learn, practice, learn; then buy something better/more expensive when you know what you're listening for.

I entirely agree. There's nothing really worthwhile in your pricerange, so aim cheap, learn how to use it well, and save up in the meantime for something decent.

You guys do have a good point, but I must say that there are units in that price range that will have some longevity in a project studio. Namely the DMP-3. I know alot of guys continue to use this piece even after aquiring some higher end units. It's a solid investment even for a beginner. In fact, unless you're comparing it to the cheesy desktop "TOOB" Behringers it's really not much more expensive. And it's a fair amount better, even with newbie ears.
I still recommend the DMP-3.

All of you guys have been great with the help. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll probably learn more toward the M-Audio preamp. Once again, this is why this forum rocks. :headbang:

The TwinTrak and TrakMaster aren't all that bad, they are very clean and clear...but as stated before, thin. You have to work with the signals to make them fuller and give them body. If you're willing to mess with it a bit, you will have a good pre, but if you're new...I wouldn't recommend it. The RNP is great, but out of his price range.

The OctoPre is a great peice of equipment. I use it in my mobile live rig that I use to record band's live shows. It's clean, and great comps on each channel.

The pre's on these units compared to the 001 and 002 aren't fair really. The ones in the 002 are really good pre's. Very clean. I wouldn't even try to do a TwinTrak vs. 002 comparison...not really the same league. The M-Audio pre's (since being bought by Avid) are really not bad at all. Especially for a beginner engineer. They are, as described by an M-Audio rep, a step down from the ones in the new MBox, which are awesome pre's.

But, like another poster said, a Behringer or other low end model/brand would be a great thing to start with since they suck. Plain and simple. With what I've worked with so far, the Behringer stuff is absolute rubbish. Now I'm talking about Focusrite Red and ISA series pre's, Avalon pre's, Grace pre's, Crane Song pre's, Pendulum Audio pre's, SSL pre's, API pre's....Behringer sucks compared to those (of course). However, when you work with crap, you learn ways around it, you learn how to make it *sound* like it's a decent pre. That way when you upgrade to something better, it's a million times easier to get the sound you want. That's how I got started years ago. I worked with a mic into a POD when they *first* came out, and then I got into recording and bought a Mackie 8 channel mixer and some SM57's. Then I got an MBox. Then I sold all that and got a 002R and started my mobile live rig. Then I got a 002 for home. I've come a long way since my first recording, and some of the stuff I did with that POD will make you wonder how I did it, heh.

I'm rambling. Sorry. Point being, M-Audio should be fine. Good luck and hope to hear some clips from you soon. I always love hearing a young engineer bloom, :p

~006

006 said:
I'm rambling. Sorry. Point being, M-Audio should be fine. Good luck and hope to hear some clips from you soon. I always love hearing a young engineer bloom, :p

~006

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to get some stuff record by early '06 and post 'em on the forum for extreme criticism. :headbang:

GOMEZ and DAVORMEN

I just finished a project with a band where the vocals only went through a VoiceMaster or TwinTrak. This isn't metal either, the guy is actually singing. I would like to show you a clip so you can show me how "thin" it sounds. Sounds pretty warm and full to me, but to get it that way, I had to....boost some mids? Not much effort. Focusrite's Platinum stuff is actually decent. I have the clips to prove it. At the music only studio that I work at, we don't do a lot of studio magic. We like to make everything sound good before hitting the record button. That way we just sail through and then have to touch it up a bit at the end for mixing...mainly just levels.

The VoiceMaster is also great on guitars. When used with the right mic, you get EXACTLY what it sounds like in the room. I would only prefer to get these units with tubes in them...but then it would color the signal and wouldn't be exactly what the guitarist is hearing in the guitar room. Can't be choosy on that. Anyway, if you'd like to hear them in action, e-mail me at 006productions@gmail.com and I can send you a clip or two. Maybe change your opinion a little bit ;)

~006

I say get any preamp on the market, Mackie, etc. Get an SM57, a mic clip and a mic stand. Get a 20 dollar mic cable. Put the mic up against the grill cloth in the center of the speaker and press record. You wont miss anything. Get recording, and then worry about these nuances later on as you get better and like somepone else said, learn to know what to listen for. This will be totally fine for now.

Colin.