mic recording : always preamp ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I have troubles recording clean tracks with mikes. I use for the moment my old good line6 UX2, which does the job for direct line / di recording of my electric guitar and outputs mixing. But when it comes to mic recording, of course, there is some noise, because I need to put the volume quite high, if the audio source (let's say, my acoustic guitar) is not really at 1 inch.

The deal is that line6 products don't have preamps, so it's quite impossible to use a clean way to record a source from some distance.

- first question, just for my general culture : is generally the level of noise proportionnal to the volume of recording ? (ie : is it the same at lower level + using a software preamp in vst, as recording at high volume in terms of noise ?)
- true question : do you use external preamps, or do you simply always choose soundcards with integrated preamps ?

- Does this solve the noise problem ?

- when you record 8 or 16 tracks at once, for drums for example, is your soundcard equiped with 1 preamp per input, or don't you use any preamp because it's too expensive / the volume is high enough ?

thanks from a noob in the recording art :)

Microphones needs preamps to sound the way they are supposed to. If you use line in, you won't get the right impedance, and this may cause noise and a bad sounding recording.

To record i.e. drums, you would need either a interface with the same amount of mic-preamps as mics you intend to use, or line inputs so you can connect the mics to external preamps, a mixing console, etc., and from there to the line in on the soundcard.