Chops Building

MJRfan1

New Metal Member
May 28, 2007
Hello my name is Manny and I am an intermediate player of the electric guitar, I had quit guitar for a while but after I heard the song "Sea of Lies" that lit a huge fire up my ass and made me want to start playing again. Anyways this section is dedicated to chops building, if you have a good excercise that will develop into something you can use into the future and help other players than this is the place to put it. Well as I once said Im still not that great and I really want to start learning Symphony X songs, but i need to advance in my techniques and practice a lot more still. But my question would be as if I were a starting guitarist, where would be the best place to begin? And how to come about playing excercises should i incorporate into my practice regime well please share your information.

Thanks You,
Manny :worship:

Emtappingexercise.jpg

This is a great tapping exercise my teacher made for me quite some time ago, just play that over and over and you'll improve heaps with tapping.

This is a scale based lick, almost every metal band ever has used it at some point in some form or another, if you just play the two bars over and over again its good for building up your fluency, and it sounds quite good double picked as well.

scalicchop01.JPG

This is the first riff from Malmsteen's Deja Vu. Due to the positioning this time you end up using your little finger for a lot of it, I use this excercise a lot because it helps build up independence in your little finger. When playing it, make sure you never take your fingers far off the string, and that the motions you make with your picking hand are as small as possible, that is the key to speeding it up.

yngwielick.JPG

Practice this with a metronome to get a feel for odd time devices, e.g the seventuplets. Each bar should be 2 ticks on the metronome, you should be playing 5th fret on the E string every metronome tick.

notegroupings.JPG

Does anyone have a good strenght exercise for the fretting hand. I can pick really fast and clean but my hand get tired and I feel that my pink and index are realtively weak and cannot keep up, and I am not talking about when I try to play extremely fast, but more like moderately like the "Mr.Crowley" guitar solos:mad:

Does anyone have a good strenght exercise for the fretting hand. I can pick really fast and clean but my hand get tired and I feel that my pink and index are realtively weak and cannot keep up, and I am not talking about when I try to play extremely fast, but more like moderately like the "Mr.Crowley" guitar solos:mad:

trill exercises (as shown in one of Vinnie Moore's instructional videos in case you have access to them...can't remember which one it's on). I put all the examples for both videos in Powertab a while back. If you want....you can PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.