Chris (Cornell) I am your Father.... Come to the dark side...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Can't say I have ever cared much for Soundgarden or Audioslave by what I have heard from them in the past, but I heard what I guess is the latest hit by Audioslave recently, entitled "Doesn't Remind Me." In the chorus, Cornell unloads his vocals like I have never heard. He has help with an excellent harmony vocalist, but even though I always thought the guy had decent pipes, he never blew me away like he did on this one. He should pack up Audioslave, grow his hair back and do some metal. I was impressed by that bit by him. He has that hint of blues in his voice, even when it is wide open, but not enough to take away the power.

Bryant

I always found him very good singer even though I was never much impressed by Sound garden and Audioslave. But I love the album he made with some Pearl Jam member under the name of "Temple of the Dog". See if you can get your hands on that disc. Its excellent.

Hawk said:
I always found him very good singer even though I was never much impressed by Sound garden and Audioslave. But I love the album he made with some Pearl Jam member under the name of "Temple of the Dog". See if you can get your hands on that disc. Its excellent.

I remember that (though I only heard one song, "Hunger Strike".) I actually like Vedder's voice as well, I just don't dig the "style" of the bands. I do own Pearl Jam "Ten" and love it, though I never heard any other PJ I was impressed with less a song here or there. Maybe I should check it out. To get back on Cornell, have you heard the one song I am talking about ? If he let's it loose on that "Temple of the Dog" release like on the song I like, I will dig it.

Bryant

Always thought Cornell was a damn good vocalist, and I'm definatly a Soundgarden fan.
Audioslave never really did it for me though...

I enjoy both bands and love Cornell's voice. I have not picked up the new Audioslave yet, but it's a must for me! from the last album I couldn't stop listening to "I am the Highway" just loved his vocals on that track!

Soundgarden's 1991 release, BadMotorFinger, is pure metal. It's Not grunge in the least. It's more Iommi-inspired than you can imagine. PURE metal, without question.

Their next release, which I consider their best, 1994's SuperUnknown, does have the grunge element, but also songs which, again, could easily have been lifted from "Master Of Reality". Just check out the tune "Mailman". I think you'll be amazed at how heavy & metallic they were.

And Hawk brings up a great point: "Temple Of the Dog" is an absolutely amazing disc, easily one of the 90s best releases.! It's pure heavy blues rock....with elements of metal and grunge, but it sits more closely to Jake E Lee's Badlands than it does Stone Temple Pilots.

One another note, I've always laughed when I've heard people label Alice In Chains as grunge. Ha! They, too, are/were a metal band. No question about it. In fact, they opened up for Slayer & Megadeth & Anthrax on the American leg of the "Clash of the Titans" tour in 1991.

SoundMaster said:
One another note, I've always laughed when I've heard people label Alice In Chains as grunge. Ha! They, too, are/were a metal band. No question about it. In fact, they opened up for Slayer & Megadeth & Anthrax on the American leg of the "Clash of the Titans" tour in 1991.
How WEREN'T they grunge? How are they metal? Just because they opened for a metal tour doesn't mean they're metal themselves....

I liked, quite alot, the some of Chris' solo work, especially the single some few years ago called Can't Change Me.

I went to Lollapallooza the first few years. The one that Pearl Jam and Soundgarden played at there was a second stage. I wandered over there after one set just in time to see Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder doing a little set together with acoustic guitars. They did a bunch of stuff off of the Temple of the Dog CD, including Hunger Strike. It was really cool. I'm not a huge fan of Pearl Jam, but I remember the crowd rushed the stage when they played their set on the main stage (breaking the barrier on the lawn). It was insane. They were just getting HUGE at the time, 10 was selling like hotcakes.

SoundMaster said:
Soundgarden's 1991 release, BadMotorFinger, is pure metal. It's Not grunge in the least. It's more Iommi-inspired than you can imagine. PURE metal, without question.

Like someone other said, the fact that AIC opened for metal bands doesn't make them metal. Soundgarden aren't metal at all IMO, no matter how Iommi inspired.
The whole "grunge" thing IMO was more about the whole "flanel shirt/dirty hair/dr.martens/you-name-it" fashion rather than music. Many of the "genre-leaders" had nothing in common musically whatsoever! Or can someone show me the link among Nirvana, Pearl Jam and say, the two mentioned bands? :err: I guess not...

On the other hand, by not considering AIC and Soungarden as metal bands, that doesn't mean I find them bad, both bands had their unique and recognizable styles and were very good. It's just...they weren't metal. :D

SickBoy said:
Like someone other said, the fact that AIC opened for metal bands doesn't make them metal. Soundgarden aren't metal at all IMO, no matter how Iommi inspired.
The whole "grunge" thing IMO was more about the whole "flanel shirt/dirty hair/dr.martens/you-name-it" fashion rather than music. Many of the "genre-leaders" had nothing in common musically whatsoever! Or can someone show me the link among Nirvana, Pearl Jam and say, the two mentioned bands? :err: I guess not...

On the other hand, by not considering AIC and Soungarden as metal bands, that doesn't mean I find them bad, both bands had their unique and recognizable styles and were very good. It's just...they weren't metal. :D

Well then we'll have to disagree. Ever hear their record "Dirt"? To say it's not metal is akin to saying "Screaming for Vengeance" isn't metal. :err:

Dodens Grav said:
A lot of people justify liking certain Grunge bands by testifying to their Metallness...

Not necessarily.

I like dozens of bands that don't come close to being metal.....late 60s Motown, early 70s 'smooth rock' (The Carpenters, early Elton John, early Barry Manilow, etc).
And I have no problem admitting it. So there's no reason for me to claim that supposed grunge bands are metal to 'cover it up'. Pearl Jam and Nirvana are/were grunge. Not metal. Soundgarden released a full-on metal album, then two albums of grunge/metal mixed. STP and the like (Bush, Mudhoney) are/were grunge.

Alice in Chains' "Dirt" release is pure metal. Without question, really.

But I guess it's matter of opinion. One of my buds really only likes death & black metal. He honestly categorizes Sabbath, Priest & Maiden as 'rock n roll' and NOT metal in the least.

#1_Droogie said:
Just because they opened for a metal tour doesn't mean they're metal themselves....

No, of course not.
But the promotors of the tour obviously saw something with them & felt otherwise.
Again, it's a matter of opinion. Their "Dirt" release, to my ears, is as heavy as most Nevermore releases. Or more so.

But as I see 'heaviness' as more than growled vocals and maximum distortion. It's about feel. Hence, the early Zeppelin records are light-years heavier than bands such as Deicide, Obituary, and the like. Anyone can growl. But not just anyone can bowl you over with a heavy-as-f*ck song like "Dazed and Confused".

I love Soundgarden.

Chris Cornell screamed his ass off on the early early Soundgarden stuff. Even a bit in mid-era, check out the song "Jesus Christ Pose."

SickBoy said:
I always regretted he's not more of a metalhead.
It's enough to hear Rusty Cage and Jesus Christ Pose to realize he's the ultimate metal vocalist. What a shame... :erk:

Yeah, he's up there. His singing on Badmotorfinger is totally fucking Metal, IMO.

SoundMaster said:

Agreed! Much better than most of that other early-90's Major label Shit music.

#1_Droogie said:
How WEREN'T they grunge? How are they metal? Just because they opened for a metal tour doesn't mean they're metal themselves....

Good point and I agree with you actually with that statement.

But the first AIC album is a TOTAL Metal album. Not Power, Thrash, Speed, Death or anything else, just Metal. Heavy riffs, guitar solos and dark as Hell lyrics, yeah sounds pretty damn Metal to me.

It's after their 1st album where their Metal (ness?) starts to become really blurry.