Chris "Zeuss" Harris

Timmmm

New Metal Member
May 13, 2008
Hi,

I listened a couple of times to "Whitechapel - This is Exile" mixed by "Zeuss" now and it has a really good Sound.
I first thought it was a Sneap Mix.

So has anyone more Information about him or is he even on the Forum?

Thanks!

He's mixed alot of killer records, and he is mixing chimaira's new album. Should sound pretty fookin nasty.

Search on him. There's been threads on him before. He posts on gearslutz occasionally.

I like his work. He has a sound that is pretty unique to him, but never gets in the way of the music. Very impressive. The new whitechapel is actually not my favorite production of his, but it is a great record, and sounds damn good.

The newest Arsis has a great sort of old-school guitar sound that's a lot clearer than most of those older records. Very cool.

good dude. been up in his studio before and he was as helpful and friendly as anyone could be while working.

ion dissonance is my favorite mix of his and probably one of the favorites of all time actually. as far as brutality goes that takes the cake for me.

i think he mixed whitechapel as it was recorded at a small studio in like new hampshire or something and i guess the drum sounds were not optimal so i forgot where but i heard somewhere that he used slate samples on it.

I'll never understand the praise for his Minus The Herd mix.

The kick sounds weird, the click is unpleasant and the kick is out of place plus it doesn't punch on the right spot, the guitars sound washy, undefined, grainy and very compressed, so does the bass, it is there but it is not there.... Also the mix is a bit on the dull side /rant

The vocals, the OHs and toms and overall mastering levels sound nice though.

Now let's see how much shit you'll throw at me :heh:

The kick sounds weird, the click is unpleasant and the kick is out of place plus it doesn't punch on the right spot, the guitars sound washy, undefined, grainy and very compressed, so does the bass, it is there but it is not there.... Also the mix is a bit on the dull side /rant

:err:

*throws shit* :lol: (hey you asked for it)

I must agree with aramism that Minus The Herd kicks ass on every stereo I play it on. Incredibly thick and heavy mix, fits their more groove direction perfectly - but I can understand the criticism perfectly. And those toms.. :worship:

I can't remember how Minus .. sounded simply because I just didn't get the breakdowns.

I prefer the older stuff like Binary on their previous releases.

Maybe it's worth another shot?

I wouldn't call it old, in fact I would say his work is very modern. Also, i don't really hear a lack of treble in his work.

I think his mixes can sound pretty dense, low mid and bass heavy. Not a bad thing, but I think it could cast a shadow on the treble, making it seem less "there".

Not all of his mixes are that way, but the ones I like the most are, haha.

Some of his stuff sounds a little more rushed and less polished, but overall I dig his work. The latest Hatebreed record (supremacy) I believe was recorded there and it sounds quite a bit different (in a not so good way IMO) compared to Rise of Brutality Perseverence, which I believe was also recorded there and seem huge.

I really don't like the production on the Whitechapel album.
It's like actually TOO big sounding.
TOO polished a mix for its own good.
It doesn't sound like humans playing on that record because of it.