Chronicling Oliva Storytellers Tour Stories - Looking for Help

srosenblatt

Metal Matriarch
Feb 23, 2007
South Florida
metalmatriarch.com
Hey everyone,

Jon Oliva's 9-stop Storytellers' Tour starts in less than two weeks!

I'm going to keep this request short and simple:

All of the stories that Jon is going to tell on this tour -- I don't want them to "get lost." I want to have all of these stories written down for the future. This is a significant tour for Jon (at least, I feel so), and I want to record what he says.

I am hoping to be able to find a person attending the Oliva Storytellers show in EACH CITY who is willing to chronicle in any way, shape or form (write it down, video, audio, what-have-you...I'll probably be writing) the stories that Jon tells in their city that evening.

The stories in every city MAY be the same, but they may not, and I don't want to take that chance.

Once all of the stories have been recorded, I will take the conglomerate and organize it and write them out so that those tales can be read and shared by all.

I will be attending the December 14 date in St. Petersburg.

If you are interested, or have any questions, you can write me here or send me an email at showriter4@gmail.com.

I have been lucky enough to be at a few small events where Jon has told stories about the history behind some songs and the dynamics between him and Criss, and they are some of the most fascinating and moving stories I've heard.

They deserve to be remembered and passed on.

Stephanie

Very cool idea. I'll be at the Dec 14 show as well, but I'd also be very interested to read what people have to say about the other shows.

Yeah, also check to see if Jon has any issue with this.
Maybe they already have their own plans for documenting the events.
Granted you can't stop someone from holding up a cell phone to video record it.

Doesn't Kong post / lurk here on occassion?
Maybe he will see this thread and respond.

Not trying to start any trouble for you, but you are basically trying to organize a mass unauthorized recording of the tour. Just think about what you are asking, and make sure you have the band's blessing.

Doesn't Kong post / lurk here on occassion?
Maybe he will see this thread and respond.

He does. Hopefully he'll see this before it's done, just in case.

Jasonic said:
Not trying to start any trouble for you, but you are basically trying to organize a mass unauthorized recording of the tour. Just think about what you are asking, and make sure you have the band's blessing.

This is exactly why I suggested contacting their management before taking any steps. Since this involves someone else's art, it's better to check first.

After some thought... I don't know if it's the best idea ever... You want people to go to the shows to hear these stories. If the stories are available for someone to read later, wouldn't that possibly diminish the number in the attendance?

This is exactly why I suggested contacting their management before taking any steps. Since this involves someone else's art, it's better to check first.

Sounds reasonable IMO.

After some thought... I don't know if it's the best idea ever... You want people to go to the shows to hear these stories. If the stories are available for someone to read later, wouldn't that possibly diminish the number in the attendance?

It's tough to say. Bands often announce that they're going to be recording some particular live show for a DVD release (Seventh Wonder next year, for example). Does this make some people say "Meh, I'll skip the show and just watch the DVD.". I suppose there's no way to know for sure... but I do know when it comes to music (and even stories), reading about it or even watching recordings are certainly cool, but they don't replace experiencing it live. Also, while these Storytellers live shows are something of an exclusive event for fans, I can't imagine Jon or his management intend for these stories to be confidential to the point where no one can read about them later.

Thanks guys, for all the feedback. I understand all of these points.

Like I mentioned, I'm just going to be writing down the stories. I don't plan on video recording the whole event, and I'm not asking anyone to.

I definitely think that checking with management in regards to having permission to do things like -actually record the event- is ideal.

On the other hand, like was said, this IS a public event. I can't imagine that me writing down the stories told is going to dissuade a fan from going to the event. That's comparing amateur me taking notes and chronicling these stories to me going pro and releasing an unofficial DVD of the event.

Really -- I don't even WANT video. I want the STORY.

I have spoken to Jon in the past, and one of his agents, about things similar to this. Jon wants to tell these stories. That's why he's doing the tour. However, I have not spoken to them about documenting live events in particular.

On a side note, I'd put money on the fact that they are not releasing this in any other format. Hence, my strong desire to at least get SOMETHING down.

Hopefully Kong will see this. I'll do some research and reach out, see what I can come up with.

After seeing Jon do a special acoustic set and a songwriting seminar at ProgPowers past, I think it’s also important to note that Jon is VERY candid and can get very personal with some of the stories that he shares. Although he’s obviously fine with sharing this info with small groups in person, he might not appreciate having the info posted all over Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Definitely agree with those who suggested connecting with management first.

I do not have the whole setlist, this is just from my memory... Raleigh show last night. Some of these were in "medly form" AKA not the entire song. He did like, here is some of my favorites from Handful of Rain, Edge of Thorns Album, etc.
These are in somewhat order.

Ten Years
Father Time
Paul O Neil Version of Jesus Saves
Tonight he grins again
Lady in Disguise
Summer Rain
Hey Bulldog - Beatles Cover
Sleep
Believe
Castles Burning
Alone you Breathe
Chance
When All The Crowds Are Gone
A few (maybe 3) JOP songs (I am not that familiar)
Can't Get Away

All in all a good show. The laid back atmosphere and funny stories were great.

Steph you are one smart cookie,

I will be attending the show on Sunday and I will write down all the songs that I know for you. This could turn out to be one awesome conglomerate of Jon Oliva songs.

This is the kind of story I would tell my kids while they are growing up. lol

*wink

Wow.. awesome setlist.. especially happy that he played the original version of Jesus Saves. :)

Summer Rain

As in "Summer's Rain" from Gutter Ballet????

Wow, did Savatage ever even play that live?
I think JOP has done it.

When I was in Ghost in the Ruins, that one was always one of the most challenging numbers to do. Never honestly cared too much for the song musically (lyrics are great tho), until having to learn it.

As in "Summer's Rain" from Gutter Ballet????

Yeah. Sorry for the typo.
It was probably my favorite one he played last night, due to the "emotional delivery".

My only somewhat complaint from the show was the lack of much "metal". Lots of ballady songs, mostly bluesy riffs and solos by Jon on the guitar. I'm guessing that was what they were going for with the 3-peice anyways, but I just wanted to bang my head to some stuff, and ended up with more of a bob.

Interesting that he's doing something from Fight For The Rock.. I know he wasn't at all happy with that album and the label's attempt to make them into hair metal.