Chronicling Oliva Storytellers Tour Stories - Looking for Help

Oliva "Father of Time" Shirt (25)
A few other JOP shirts (25)
Doctor butcher shirt
Signed and numbered posters of Jon
Guitar picks (3 for $5)

There was more but I can't remember it all.

Did you see what the VIP shirts looked like, by any chance? Dunno if any of the Oliva worshippers were wearing theirs at the show..

After some thought... I don't know if it's the best idea ever... You want people to go to the shows to hear these stories. If the stories are available for someone to read later, wouldn't that possibly diminish the number in the attendance?

What about those who don't live anywhere near where this tour is going?

As in "Summer's Rain" from Gutter Ballet????

Wow, did Savatage ever even play that live?
I think JOP has done it.

When I was in Ghost in the Ruins, that one was always one of the most challenging numbers to do. Never honestly cared too much for the song musically (lyrics are great tho), until having to learn it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCv-gQ6xe8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCv-gQ6xe8k[/ame]

Sorry I am so late in posting this, but I just got back to a computer that works!!

I was at the first show in Charlotte, NC. They were a 3-piece (fully electric) with Chris on drums and a bass player. I didn't get his name or recognize him. Jon sat behind the keys, but played a lot of guitar while sitting down. Copying the setlist from above, this is what I remember him playing:

Ten Years
Father Time
Paul O Neil Version of Jesus Saves
Tonight he grins again
Strange Reality - **Just remembered!!**
Lady in Disguise
Summer Rain
Hey Bulldog - Beatles Cover
Sleep
If I Go Away
Castles Burning
Medly of Chance, something else and HOR
When The Crowds Are Gone
A few (maybe 3) JOP songs (I am not that familiar) - One of these Matt's (RIP) favorite JOP song - Walk Upon the Water. I can't remember the others.
Can't Get Away

That's pretty close. A few observations:

1. The show was poorly attended. In a venue that could hold maybe 500 people, there were 60-70 people in attendence. There were only 20 people up front. Although Jon didn't say anything, it was borderline embarrassing.

2. This was the first show, so there were numerous technical and sound problems. Jon seemed to play a lot of wrong notes on the keys, which is unusual for him. He did mention the sound at sound check and the show were two different animals. Their van got broken into the night before and a bunch of cables and some other stuff were taken. He seemed slightly distracted most of the night and had numerous conversations with his tech that I couldn't tell were friendly or not. He played almost 2 hours. There was no warm up band.

3. The show turned very emotional, as Criss seemed to be on his mind and he talked about it a lot. Don't know if the passing of Matt had anything to do with it, or the 20th anniversay of Criss' death being last October. He started crying during "If I Go Away" and so did I. I was wearing my Criss shirt and Jon kept acknowleding it.

4. My highlight of the night was "Summers Rain". It was soooo emotional. I hollered at him when he was done, "That was Criss' greatest solo!!". He nodded and said, "Yes it was."

5. The stories were very short before each song. There was WAY more music than storytelling. Most of the stories involved Criss and how he fit into the song. One funny moment was he said Criss came to him with a new riff. Jon played "Smoke on the Water" intro and he told Criss that one was already taken!!

6. One cool thing, I have never seen Jon play that much guitar. He played 2 electrics - a strat and a tele. He also played an acoustic guitar. He played a number of leads which were pretty good. The played some soulful blues riffs that were quite good.

7. One ProgPower moment - when he said he was going to play some songs from STREETS, someone in the crowd shouted, "Play the whole damn thing!!". Jon replied, "Gotta wait until September!!". Two of us said, "we'll be there!!!!!".

This show was definitely worth the $17!! I will make the 12/11 show in Houston.

Chris :headbang:

Father Time (new album)
Ten Years (new album)

Out On The Streets (Savatage)
Lady in Disguise (Savatage)
Summer's Rain (Savatage)

Streets Medley (Savatage)
-Jesus Saves - Original/Demo Version
-Tonight He Grins Again
-Believe

Hey Bulldog (Beatles cover)

Edge Of Thorns Medley (Savatage)
-Sleep
-Miles Away
-All That I Bleed

Look At The World (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Walk Upon The Water (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Fly Away (Jon Oliva's Pain)

Handful Of Rain Medley (Savatage)
-Castles Burning
-Stare Into The Sun?
-Alone You Breathe?
-Chance

Someone/Souls (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Can't Get Away (new album)

Child In Time (Deep Purple cover)
When The Crowds Are Gone (Savatage)

I'd love to be in a position to carpool to Poughkeepsie. :) Unfortunately, I don't live in NYC anymore..

Anyone from the NYC/LI area going to Dingbatz tonight and willing to have an extra person ride along? I'll chip in for gas/tolls/parking, etc (and I don't take up too much room). :)

Steph you are one smart cookie,

I will be attending the show on Sunday and I will write down all the songs that I know for you. This could turn out to be one awesome conglomerate of Jon Oliva songs.

This is the kind of story I would tell my kids while they are growing up. lol

*wink

Awesome! Thanks, man!

On top of that, if there are any stories that Jon tells that you find fascinating and you can remember pieces to send me, please do...

...even if it's not the full story, fragments and ideas of what he's talking about are a good start for me.

ANYTHING you can remember is appreciated. Even if it's his emotions, how you felt, whatever you want to write down and send my way is awesome.

And if it's just the setlist / what you remember, that is extremely helpful too.

I REALLY appreciate it.

SavaVIDude (Chris),

Your observations were great! Thanks so much for recapping with all of that information. I can't WAIT until the St. Pete show.

And, heck yeah for ProgPowerUSA moments! STREEEEEEEETS!

The "Smoke on the Water" quip is hilarious. \m/

Seriously, dude, I cannot thank you enough!