Chronicling Oliva Storytellers Tour Stories - Looking for Help

My PPXIV shirt is getting a workout this week.. Fates tomorrow night, Oliva Tuesday night.. :)

The stories that I remember/ funny things from the show:

HERE BE SPOILERS/DONT READ IF YOU HAVENT BEEN!!!!

When they got screwed over by their agency after "Fight for the Nightmare"(As Jon called it)...out of 2.3 MILLION BOLLARS! They were in London or someplace and had no money to fly back home...so they threw all their luggage out the 3rd story window of their hotel and it exploded. Then they snuck out of the hotel to save some money.

As a segway to the Beatles song "Hey Bulldog", Jon mentioned being at the studio recording Gutter Ballet and trying to nail down some songs at the last minute. To ease his stress someone told him that the piano he was using was the one that Paul McCartney had penned a classic Beatles song on (can't remember which). Anyways, at first he couldn't play anything on it... but he tried again the next day and was successful and they finished the album.

Jons $75K dollar stint in rehab, where Criss snuck him in a bunch of pot using a doll and a bag of peanuts. Jon gets stoned while INSIDE one of the most prolific rehab centers.

Jon and crew getting on a propeller plane in Brazil and being scared to death. Jon did a great airplane noise impersonation of it flying over the deadly mountains with an about to die engine.
Also in Brazil, the police let Jon do donuts in a parking lot in a police car, while on coke.

Part of the jokes were on Jon's long time guitar tech/roadie. He joked on him not turning stuff on and not being fast with getting him drinks, etc. One memorable moment was that Jon looked at him and said "You are a hemorrhoid on my ballsack." with the most serious face ever. I was dieing laughing.

Another thing that was funny was Jon said something like "I don't read at all. The last thing I remember was Green Eggs and Ham. After that if it wasn't in Playboy or Penthouse, I didnt read it."

Not a story, but funny:
Some guy in the crowd who was totally loaded, and yelled something like
"OH WAIT YOU SAY YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY MOUNTAIN KING FROM START TO FINISH??? ID BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!"
Jon proceeds to play an 8 second honkytonk version of mountain king. Then says something to the effect of, "Country music wouldn't be so bad, if I didn't, you know... hate the hell out of it"

What kills me is that TSO can sell out literally 4 shows a day/night playing on two coasts, and Oliva tours in crappy conditions playing to a crowd of 75.

With all the $$$$$$ O'Neil and Co. have made off of Jon's ideas, you would think he would permit the others to do at least a one time Savatage reunion tour.

Granted, who knows at this point who would want to do it, maybe not even Jon.

What kills me is that TSO can sell out literally 4 shows a day/night playing on two coasts, and Oliva tours in crappy conditions playing to a crowd of 75.

With all the $$$$$$ O'Neil and Co. have made off of Jon's ideas, you would think he would permit the others to do at least a one time Savatage reunion tour.

Amen.

No arguments here.

Seeing all these stories make me wish I could make it to the Houston show. Especially if I knew there would be that much music being played. The way it was described it sounded to me like 90% stories, 10% music, and as awesome as seeing a Jon Oliva show with all stories is, I couldn't justify driving 6 hours for it.

If this ice storm arrives when its supposed to, Fates Warning wont be in the cards for me tonight... :(

I was at the 12/4 Clifton NJ show. It was in a teeny tiny metal dive bar called Dingbatz (and about 2 hrs away from me, too). I'm guessing there were about 200 people there. It was pretty much capacity, although I was up front for Jon so I couldn't be sure.

Caveat to my show thoughts - it is always great seeing Oliva. He's by far my favorite artist of all time, and I consider him from a song writing standpoint the John Lennon of our generation. It was a great night, and I am looking forward to 'Streets' in Sept.

That said, the tour buildup and the info on the tour page was misleading.

- It was supposed to be a sit down session. It was a typical show.
- There was supposed to be a Q & A session. There wasn't anything of the sort.
- Oliva told a few short anecdotes, but for the most part played (I'm not complaining about that, but that wasn't the expectation)
- The setlist was supposed to be varied at each show, and it was pretty much the same.
- It was billed as a different experience, but it was an Oliva show. (Again, not a complaint, but just an observation)

I think I'm jaded, because ProgPower brought me the Jon Wed "anything goes man and his piano' show, and the Soulchaser song writing session. Those were unique, but I'm guessing that anyone that didn't attend those wouldn't have any issues at all with this tour. I was hoping for something a little more along those lines. Still, a really fun night.

Even with my comments above, the show was amazing - WELL worth seeing, especially for the price, and I'd say you should catch it if you can. I never know when Oliva will stop performing (for whatever reason), and I want to make sure I take advantage of his music whenever I can.

**SETLIST** (Played for about 2 hours)
1) Father Time
2) Ten Years
3) Out On The Streets
** (accompanied by a short story about being at an Aunt's house with a piano, and this being the first song he and Criss wrote on it)
4) Lady in Disguise
5) Summer's Rain
Streets Medley
6) Jesus Saves - Original O'Neil Version
7) Strange Reality
8) NYC Don't Mean Nothing (outro only)
9) Tonight He Grins Again
10) If I Go Away
11) Hey Bulldog
** (short story about tricking Criss to play it because he didn't tell him it was a Beatles tune)
Edge Of Thorns Medley
12) Sleep
13) All That I Bleed
(Said he was going to play 3 songs from Edge, but played only two)
14) Look At The World
** (mention about Criss wanting Jon to rip off Queen's 'Killer Queen'piano riffs, and this is what came out of that)
15) Walk Upon The Water
16) Fly Away
** (Talking about LaPorte, and this being his favorite song)
Handful Of Rain Medley
17) Handful Of Rain (Intro only)
18) Stare Into The Sun
19) Castles Burning
20) Chance
21) Alone You Breathe
22) Someone/Souls
23) Can't Get Away
24) Child In Time
25) When The Crowds Are Gone

** A couple other very short anecdotes during the evening included blowing cocaine up a midget's nose while filming the Mountain King video, and siccing the dog on Steve Wacholz

Steve in Philly

I was at the 12/4 Clifton NJ show. It was in a teeny tiny metal dive bar called Dingbatz (and about 2 hrs away from me, too). I'm guessing there were about 200 people there. It was pretty much capacity, although I was up front for Jon so I couldn't be sure.

Caveat to my show thoughts - it is always great seeing Oliva. He's by far my favorite artist of all time, and I consider him from a song writing standpoint the John Lennon of our generation. It was a great night, and I am looking forward to 'Streets' in Sept.

That said, the tour buildup and the info on the tour page was misleading.

- It was supposed to be a sit down session. It was a typical show.
- There was supposed to be a Q & A session. There wasn't anything of the sort.
- Oliva told a few short anecdotes, but for the most part played (I'm not complaining about that, but that wasn't the expectation)
- The setlist was supposed to be varied at each show, and it was pretty much the same.
- It was billed as a different experience, but it was an Oliva show. (Again, not a complaint, but just an observation)

As much as I loved the show, I feel the same way. It was a concert, not really the intimate experience it was billed as. Enjoyed it tremendously just the same.

Video: JON OLIVA Brings 'Storytellers Tour' To Akron

More than thirty years after the start of his career with SAVATAGE, and successive projects/bands like TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA and JON OLIVA'S PAIN, now-legendary songwriter and performer Jon Oliva brought his "Storytellers Tour" to Ripper's Rock House in Akron, Ohio on Saturday, December 7. Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be seen below.

Oliva's recently released debut solo album, "Raise The Curtain", combines Jon's early music influences of '70s prog rock with the sound he cultivated with SAVATAGE and JON OLIVA'S PAIN. The result is a high-class, thrilling musical journey, something all lovers from rock to metal shouldn't miss.

"Raise The Curtain" was released on June 21 in Europe and July 2 in North America via AFM Records. The 11-song CD, which contains ideas collected over the course of the last four or five years, was tracked this past winter at Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida with producer Tom Morris, with Jon handling laying down nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself as well as playing drums on three songs.

"Raise The Curtain" was released simply under the banner OLIVA and fans can expect a mixture of Jon's early influences and the material he wrote and recorded throughout his whole career.

"Raise The Curtain" was made available as a CD digipak (first pressing) and two-LP vinyl (gatefold, limited to 800 copies worldwide).

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to meeting Jon in Dallas on Tuesday.. Hopefully they don't get too delayed driving south from Chicago..

I am not going to put the set list up. I think that has already been covered.

The stories that Jon shared were based mostly around his brother and how they were together writing music and sharing experiences on tour and such. Jon opened up by saying that this tour was actually his vacation. That he had just spend the last six weeks with TSO and this was his vacation.

I have seen Jon Oliva many times, but this was the first time that I could actually see the emotions and feelings that he puts into all his songs, his family, and the experiences he went through bring a rockstar for so long. His easy going, laid back, and go with the flow attitude along with his passion for music and the relationship that he has with is brother was obvisous while he was on stage. He was not trying to be a rock star, but rather someone that is enjoying what he does and sharing that with is fans.

There were times when Jon would come right out and say that some of the songs were difficult for him to perform, as they were a big part of what him and Chris shared before he passed away. The fact that he is able to put away the rock star card and play the normal human being card shows so much potential in him. That he is not afraid to be himself and share the stories of him throughout the years.

I recall the one story he told us of when he was in rehab. He was talking to his brother Chris on the phone, which he stated was one of the reasons that he had checked into rehab, and told him that he had to send him some pot in the mail or he was going to burn the place down. A week goes by, and finally a package came for Jon in the rehab facility. They inspect this package, which is a bag of shelled peanuts that was wrapped inside a straight jacket. The facility was tearing the bag apart making sure that there were no drugs hiding inside. It passed the inspection and Jon takes it back into the room. He himself started breaking open the shells of the peanuts looking for the coke, only to realize that Chris had opened all the shells, hidden coke in them, and then super glued them back together. That along with the papers that were also hiding is how Jon got through rehab. Smoking in the bathroom right over the exhaust in the roof. Did I mention that his room mate was Eric Clampton?

The fact that Jon can share stories like that and take us into the realm of his life while he was going through the good and bad times shows true character.

I could go on and on about the show last night. About all the emotions and excitement and fun that went on, but this thread would be three pages long.

Enjoy Steph!!

IMG_1466_zpsfb159347.jpg

IMG_1507_zpse5c25f76.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1500_zpsee0ac925.jpg

It wasn't coke, it was pot. And he said once he discovered the pot he realized he needed papers, and you couldn't exactly get those at the commissary. Then he discovered a couple of the peanuts had check marks written on them in magic marker. Those had papers in them. He smoked the pot standing on the toilet in the men's bathroom, blowing the smoke directly into the exhaust in the ceiling. That's how he got through rehab.

It wasn't coke, it was pot. And he said once he discovered the pot he realized he needed papers, and you couldn't exactly get those at the commissary. Then he discovered a couple of the peanuts had check marks written on them in magic marker. Those had papers in them. He smoked the pot standing on the toilet in the men's bathroom, blowing the smoke directly into the exhaust in the ceiling. That's how he got through rehab.

Thanks Craig........updated

Great show.
Loved the setlist.

The stories were great.

Would have loved to have seen him do Child in Time though as that is one of the greatest songs of all time.