Chton – Demo

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Chton – Demo

753_1.jpg

It's a kind of privilege to get a demo from an unknown/unsigned band. Why? Because you can witness their birth, what's more, your words might help them to get famous later. Of course, half of these demos are average or under average level, but the other half discloses promising bands, real surprises or even better. The Norwegian Chton belongs to this second group. While Norway is still better known for its black metal bands, they seem to have a healthy, strong death metal scene. Just think about bands like Thorns, Zyklon, Myrkskog, and who knows how many other underground bands who never get out of the country. Chton is arising from the Trondheim underground, so it just makes me wonder what other rarities might be found there.

I got a 2-track demo from Norway and unfortunately it only consists of two songs but it gives a correct picture of the band. Six minute long brutal death metal. Tight rhythms, half-complex, heavy songs are rolling over you in the vein of Immolation, Morbid Angel or Thorns - especially the start of 'Crawling Chaos' reminds me of Thorns. I know there are many bands out there who are doing similar things, but not many have such original riffings and such a dark, sinister atmosphere as Chton. To keep it short, it's quality death metal, on the level of the bands mentioned above. I hope to see them signed to a record company soon.... because I have to push the repeat button to listen to them for a while, trying to create the illusion of a full length Chton album.

1. Book Of Black Earth
2. Crawling Chaos

Chton Homepage