Chuck Billy & Seek And Destroy

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
I just recieved a CD of "A Tribute To Metallica", (Metallic Assault),10 track tribute album released in 2001, done with a mix and match of different musicians, instead of the normol whole bands doing one song.
Here's some of the power packed artists that appear on it;
Mike Clark
Robert Trujillo
Dave Lombardo
Chuck Billy
Eric A.K.
Joey Belladonna
Bruce Kulick
Marco Mendoza
Eric Singer
John Marshall
Scott Ian
Mickey Dee
Frankie Banali
Jeff Pilson
Jason Bonham
John Christ
Tommy Aldridge
Billy Milano
Vinny Appice
John Oliva
Jake E. Lee
Jimmy Bain
Aynsley Dunbar
Eric Bloom
Al Pitrelli
And more.....................

Anyway track 9(should be track 2 or 3), has our own Chuck Billy doing the vocals on Seek & Destroy, along with Jake E. Lee, Jimmy Bain, & Aynsley Dunbar. I think if your a Testament/Chuck Billy fan, then this is a must for your collection. His voice rules, on this song. And I ask myself, what would have happened if Chuck sang for Metallica instead of Testament, back in early Metallica.
It would be amazing and he defineately would have a more powerful & better ranged volcals than James could ever have. Now that would have been something !!!!! And another thing, if Chuck was in the band, he would have never let that watered down Metallica happen, well I can dream about it, can't I?

Sure you can..........I love both bands and It would be great if he sang for Metallica.......maybe Metallica would be the way Testament is nowadays.........

thanks for the information about the cd, D. E. .........and the song you are listening to is Killer!!!! :headbang:

Metallica - Seek & Destroy is a very awesome song!!! but I don't like the version on this tribute with Chuck on vox. Mainly cuz I don't like the growls being added to Metallica songs.

As for Chuck singing for Metallica. well I doubt that Metallica wouldn't change, cuz it was mainly Lars' band. Plus, James' vocals on the earlier Metallica albums were just fine.
But u have Testament where Chuck & Eric are the highest levels of the band and who always want to stay true. Like I said before, Metallica could've learned a thing or two from Testament about keeping their musical integrity, but they just given in to the mainstream. They thought it was time for a change.

Here is the quote from James H. """No one should even mention the words sell-out to us, because that's completely ridiculous and ludicrous. Sell-out means you've compromised for someone or something and you've changed for a certain other reason. There are a lot of bands that I think are sell-outs, because they keep rewriting the same f.cking album over and over. They found out what works good for them and they keep doing it. They're afraid to change and there are a lot of people out there-not just in music, but in life-that are afraid to do something different. They need the sameness, they find safety in that. Metallica's not about safety at all.""" (Metal Edge 2000 interview)

Also here is a quote from Eric (Metal Update 1999 Interview)

"""MU: You're such a metalhead, Eric.

EP: It's in my blood. My girlfriend trips on me. She's into Dave Matthews. She's 26, and she's growing out of metal. I'm 35 and I never left it."""

^^^^^^^^^

yup. this is why Testament haven't changed their sound to suit more radio-friendly ppl.

btw, I forgot to say that the solos in this cover of S&D suck. they are simplified and the solos in the original version are much fucking better!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

here are some comments Testament said about Metallica which I found quite interesting:

(taken from Metal-Is 1999 Interview with Chuck & Eric)

"""Changing subjects, Metallica are the definitive Bay Area thrash band, or at least they were. In recent years, they’ve gone in a very different musical direction. Can you see Testament ever making radical changes?

CB: We tried it several years ago and got completely lost. It was towards the end of Alex’s life with us, and we did get into other areas of music. It just didn’t work. Right now, we are happy being a metal band, pure and simple. Change for the sake of it - and that’s what it would be - isn’t even up for consideration.

So you won’t be working with an orchestra, then?!

EP: Er, no! Nothing against Metallica, but this isn’t our idea of metal. But good luck to Metallica. They probably heard all of these black metal bands tinkering around with keyboards and thought, ‘This is how you do it properly!’

CB: Metallica have always taken chances, and I respect them for that. The album they did with the orchestra (‘S&M’) was different, but that’s not a route we wanna go down. I’ve just done a version of ‘Seek & Destroy’ for a Metallica tribute album. It’s being put together by Bob Kulick, whose brother is (former Kiss guitarist) Bruce. I had great fun doing that. It’s such a brilliant song.
"""

except "seek & destroy"
How were the others?
it seems that many hard-rock/ heavy metal musicians tried
to cover those thrash songs
Did they do a good job, or just make them more like hard-rock songs??

I wanted to buy this album years ago, however it was low rated by magazines!
they metioned that how come Dave Lombardo just can play the same drums as Lars can?
they meant Dave should be more creative, complex!!
I dunno~~~

Originally posted by Dogfacedgod
Sice it was a metallica tribute album I didnt buy the damn thing, but I did DL that song and it does indeed kick ass.
what downloading program did u use and what did u search for to get it? i have blubster and it cant find anything.

Although, I have a Best of The Rammones disc, in my collection, & did see them live once, awhile ago, in the 80's. I'm not a huge fan, but can appreciate there influence in the musical world. And they did put on a good show.............but no I would not buy a Tribute album of them, I guess I'm picky............