Chuck Billy To Sing With Soilwork In San Jose

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
I'd like to inform everyone about the up coming "Soilwork" show June 6th at the Cactus Club in San Jose. Soilwork is one of my favorite bands. I will be joining them onstage to sing a song with them. So if you want to see a kick ass band go to the show.

Quote from: Chuck Billy

Hey, Soilwork are pretty shitty, if you ask me...everything in this band is so one-dimensional: the singer, the songs (pseudo-agressive verses, melodic choruses...every song built up identically...). I saw them live and the singer couldn't match up what's heard on the albums. Everybody seems to adore them these days, but I don't give anything about that. They could be a better band (of course, decent musicianship) if they did not do albums in a haste - come on, two albums in less than one year means less quality. I think they get more praise from all those well-known people (boring Halford and godly Devin Townsend) than they might deserve...well perhaps I'm wrong, just my point of view...
Anyway, listen to the new Rush!

If anyone cares...I fucking love this last Soilwork album. The last two are so killer, good stuff man. I totally dig their old stuff too, but I prefer melodic vocals, so this one fits in with my tastes. If they've changed to get more fans, then it worked, because they got me hooked now.
And what's wrong with a band changing to get more fans? Isn't that the point? Or are you just so jealous to see something you've liked privately get more attention. If you really like a band more than just for background atmosphere, like where you follow them personally or something, then you should be happy and support them when they get "more fans", because it takes a lot of album sales and a lot of tickets at the door for musicians to make all the time put in this worth the effort. And to see a band succeed in getting more sales and then walk away from them because you don't agree with other people having the same likes and tastes as you is pretty weird. I mean if you don't like it; you don't like it. That's fine. But if you choose to not like it because someone else just got turned on to it, you're missing the point.
Savatage is an example for me. I can only listen to the first album, Sirens. After that their sound changed and I didn't like it. But then I realized that as they changed more people liked them, so I figured that I didn't flow with the masses on this one, I'd let it ride. But if somebody likes the new stuff and doesn't like the old stuff, then that's their opinion. I still was happy for the band to have success getting more fans, more sales.
Soilwork is an up and coming band who pours their heart into their music. Rush, now I'm one of the biggest Rush fans since the 70's folks...I own everything, know every lyric, read history on the band, etc... But new Rush is boring to me. I still bought the new album, and I actually like it. I even already have tickets to their concert that's four months from now! But gone are the days when they tried to impress with musicality. Now they're hitting the mark on trend to coast out their careers. Remember when there was a certain mystic appeal to their songs? Gone. Hey, I like them and am not putting them down (sounds like it I know), but some of the newer bands - back to Soilwork, are trying new things and are enthusiastic about it and the energy shows in the final result. I can dig that.
Damm, what were we talking about before my amphetamines kicked in? Oh yeah, Chuck's going to add some booming vox duet style with that tall bald guy (Bjorn) and it will kick ass. You'll see...or at least, I will!!!

I don't judge bands by how many fans they have. I just think that the new one is very boring musically so i didn't like it. Im just assuming sales was there motive for the style change. I got into soilwork for the shred guitars and killer riffs when they took those away on the new one they just got rid of what i liked about them so i didn't care for it. i have nothing against them.

I think Soilwork's doing good by changing, personally... all the gothenburg-style metal bands seem to have been almost plagerizing each others' music since ATG's Slaughter of The Soul... now Soilwork is writing albums that are original and theyre distinguishing themselves from the rest of that sub-genre.... and I kinda like the sing-along choruses!

Well, sorry Steve, but I think it is really bottomless to say that Rush are trying to appeal to the mass. They need not follow trends after all those years. I see no big change in style in their last albums. It's a coherent development. Of course, you can say that their music has lost some of its significance over the years, but hey, what band can say that they play an important role in the music scene throughout their whole career? I think Rush are three personalities you can look up to. I still hang on Geddy Lee's words if he's doing interviews. He's still got a lot to say - no bullshit yet very true things. Neil's Lyrics are still among the best one can imagine...and after all this guy has gone through, it is really admirable that he's moving on with Rush.
And some last words concerning Soilwork: a strong label that makes them release albums in a haste and good musicians that have a dull singer who fails in live situations - A promising band that still has to develop, but for which I think all the praise and hype together with their doing things too fast could be a hindrance to their progression...

The reason that Soilwork is releasing albums more often than other bands is A) They don't get that many tours, they're not like Slayer who goes on tour for a year and a half B) They probably find it more appealing to do another record than work in a factory for a year just because people say that albums get worse if you don't let 2 years pass between them

@Steve DiGiorgio :

Are you going to be present at this upcoming Soilwork show,that is taking place at The Cactus Club?(San Jose)

Well if you are that is great, because I'm going to be there as well.

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
Yeah, of course I'll be there. With bells on.

Perfect!

Last time I saw you was back in 1993 at One Step Beyond in San Jose California performing together with Death,on the individual thought patterns tour. Great show by the way!

Well if I see you there I will definitly say "whats up!":D

"take a look, take a ride... stay by my side...
don't dare to think... let's follow the hollow...
it kills your pride .. to be alive...
please step a side, cause I follow the hollow"

J

I'm going to the Hypocrisy/Soilwork sjow tonight in Corona (between La and SD)...I really don't hate Soilwork, but I don't like them either. Talented, but boring....I don't like the "core" edge they've added ove the years....Anyway, despite Hypocrisy's lackluster new album, I can't wait to see them!

Well, Soilwork sure did destroy San Jose's Catus Club, during their hour long set, Chuck came up & sang "Follow The Hollow",
to a cherring throng of headbanger's. It was great to see him up on stage again. This is the only appearance of Chuck singing on stage, since he sang"Into The Pit", at TOTT, in over 2 years! He looks great, His hairs growing back, last night he had it slicked down, and it looks like he's lost around 30 pounds since TOTT.
Eric also came up and jammed one song with the Sweedish band, for the on-core. Great show, great crowd, & I have taped the whole show for both bands, So hopefully everyone will enjoy it somewhere down the line. A few members of Soilwork told me this was one of the best shows of the tour, so far!